Color before & after!

IAC General Discussions
ned c

Color before & after!

Post by ned c »

http://prolost.blogspot.com/2007/07/col ... movie.html

This gives an interesting insight to how high budget films may look before the colorists have got to work. We can take heart from this that we don't do too badly and the pros are often saved in post production.

ned c
stingman

Post by stingman »

Good point Ned. I would put it in the folder of Special Effects.
I`ve tweeked the colour several times.

The problem when we do alter the picture is that we introduce a bit of noise into the finished segment. The resultant is a little bit of grain. We may be able to get away with it a little bit, but it does notice.

I have to tweek my height in my films. I`m only 4 ft 4``s tall!
And you all thought that I was 6 foot! ;-)) I`m also Black!

Dave also adds a Special Effects beard to all his holiday footage!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

My son is a pro colorist - now freelancing - and travels the world two weeks in every month 'putting colours right' for major film productions, teaching new generations of colorists, and so on. I showed him the advanced (my words!) colour correction systems - 4 of them - in Avid Liquid, and he was impressed, but pointed out that the equipment he used - in Studios etc - cost anything from £30,000 upwards...

There is no doubt that the editors, colorists and after effects people can turn a movie from disaster to moderate success.

I find it quite a challenge to take someone's raw shoot material - a holiday, or wedding even - and make a reasonably watchable movie from it. But give me a camera and tell me to go shoot it ... even knowing the 'rules' and techniques, I always manage to get it hopelessly wrong.

Pitiful, really :(