Panasonic TD900 wobbly images

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
edin

Panasonic TD900 wobbly images

Post by edin »

Taking panning shots with the TD900 at 1080p setting produces a wavy output to my monitors when loaded into my Premiere Pro cs5.5 editor. The output when viewed on the cameras HDMI output in the HD tele is sharp and ok. Has anyone come across this effect and can it be attributed to any component in my desktop computer.
Can it be put down to the video card or processer or hard drive read/write data throughput or someother component causing a bottleneck within the computer system.
col lamb

Re: Panasonic TD900 wobbly images

Post by col lamb »

What you are experiencing on the PC is a typical result of shooting in 1080p mode, panning is generally something that should be carried out very slowly in 1080p.

Try some fast pans and see the resluts, very weird looking but perfectly understandable.

As a HD TV is 1080p you will get the same output from the camcorder as you see on the TV

Basically don't panic all is OK

You can get some great results with the 900 in progressive mode but you do have to make allowances for limitations, the article in the link below offers great advice

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=208

I do have to add that whilst 1080p produces great images if you are going to put the final movie on a Bu-ray then shooting in 1080i would make a better disc, if you intend to keep movies in solid state format such as MP4 then 1080p is the way to go.

Keep enjoying the 900 its a great camcorder
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Re: Panasonic TD900 wobbly images

Post by tom hardwick »

I'm pretty sure Col's pin-pointed your problem, but I just wondered if the 'wavy output' might just be attributable to the 900's powerful but sticky OIS. It's great for hand-holding a telephoto shot, but it hopeless if you want to pan gently (say) and come to rest on another object. Try it and see - the overshoot and 'return to base' as the OIS elements centre is horrible.

It's the same with the 'normal' OIS - it may be powerful, but it won't allow normal camera movements without overshoot - unlike Sony's OIS. Of course such effects are very pronounced when on a tripod and somewhat hidden (thank goodness) when hand-holding.

In Rome I tried to defeat it by 'stopping short' of the church I'd panned to, so that the OIS would carry me onwards. But of course the OIS centres its elements when the camera movement stops, and this always shows on screen.

There's action and reaction to all things in this life.

tom.

[OIS = Optical Image Stabiliser ... Ed]