Lip Synch

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Re: Lip Synch

Post by ned c »

I used a Beaulieu (?) R16 but it was a very noisy camera, we made a sound proof enclosure but this made it bulky and difficult to handle. At work if we were doing lip synch we rented an Arriflex 16BL.
James Mitchell

Post by James Mitchell »

Uher, Beaulieu , Arri? Us poor kids from oop't North couldn't afford such kit!

Seriously, such equipment was fantastic, but with regard to sound I've came to appreciate how crude tape recorders were in some respects, having spent some time "under the bonnet" recently.

It's not far off the mark regarding a tape recorder as being essentially a gear box with a couple of tape heads as cheaper single-motor machines relied on the drive being switched between playing and winding by a collection of levers, idler gears and pulleys all of which could and often did introduce tape speed errors.

An improvement was to have a separate motor for play/record, fast forward and rewind. I've just acquired such a three-motor machine and while it's a lovely old piece of kit the fact that it has any moving parts leads to the possibility of mechanical error. It also weighs a whacking great 22 Kg (48lbs or almost 3 1/2 stone in old money) which is why my wife had to help me unpack it.

This is, of course, similar to film cameras and projectors where the bulk of the components dealt with film transport.

Again, while I love old tape recorders and film equipment, it has to be said that we are lucky to live in the solid state era of flashcards and the like.

James Mitchell
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Not about making films ... but when running a school film appreciation club we played music as people came in. That meant driving to my block of flats, climbing three stories, collecting two wardrobe-sized speakers (actually about 48" x 30" x30" but made of chipboard), packing them in the car. Those went on stage either side of the screen. The music was supplied by a Ferrograph reel-to-reel machine which had to be lugged from a classroom to the school hall.
SOUND WAS HEAVY!