Open Film Night Summer Chalenge

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
John Simpson

Open Film Night Summer Chalenge

Post by John Simpson »

:D :D Big success, really enjoyable, 5 minutes max was just right, 14 films entered, all entertaing, obviously there were no holiday films. Making and watching the films was entertaining - someone suggested a mid-winter 48 hour film-making challenge, I hope that happens.
Dave Watterson

Re: Open Film Night Summer Chalenge

Post by Dave Watterson »

Unfortunately I could not watch the films ... but my concern is that such contests are about the mechanics of getting a film made with content and any artistry coming second.

Am I wrong?
ned c

Post by ned c »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC81QAe ... BR0V3QA8bg

The advantage of the 48 hour challenge is that films get made; to script/shoot/edit/deliver in that time is difficult but is fun and sometimes the results can be very good.

Above the link to the SW Utah Guerrilla Fest; the prep time has now been extended to three weekends with some remarkable results. There are three fests a year; Summer; Halloween and Christmas and there usually between 15 and 20 entries.
ned c
Martin Evans

Post by Martin Evans »

Dave Watterson wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:50 pm Unfortunately I could not watch the films ... but my concern is that such contests are about the mechanics of getting a film made with content and any artistry coming second.

Am I wrong?
And having fun. For most of us this is our hobby. A competition such as this challenge provides impetus and the inventiveness to suit the theme.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Good point, Martin!
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Dave Watterson wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:50 pm Unfortunately I could not watch the films ... but my concern is that such contests are about the mechanics of getting a film made with content and any artistry coming second.

Am I wrong?
Dave, I agree with Martin...having FUN is the point. But if you're doing it in a team, then it's also about working together. It's a terrific way of getting inexperienced filmmakers involved in something where they can have a central role - thinking up a story/acting - perhaps camera operator or editor. They can see how it all comes together in a flash. Each person in the team can make a significant contribution and FEEL as if they have made a significant contribution.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

As I was the nominated 'judge' for this on line event I feel entitled to comment.

I tend to agree with Dave in that the point about film making is to express yourself and to create a piece after considerable thought and preparation. I was full of admiration that the people who made films for this event did so in such a tiny time slot. I would never have been able (or willing!), to do that, even when young. The results, bearing in mind the stipulations, were remarkably good, but not really films as we generally would expect. I'm sure the participants had fun and that surely was the object of the exercise.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

A benefit for me (and I gues there are others like me) is it forces me to make a film.

No matter how good an idea I might think I have for a film, I get so bogged down considering potential problems with making it (or even deciding which is the best of several good ideas), I find it very difficult to get started.

With an event such as this, I accept from the outset that it will be imperfect. Knowing it has to be done over during a fixed period, I have my cast and crew ready to go and so I have an incentive not to let them down. I HAVE to make that film.

This is right outside my comfort zone!

But I've done it twice and submitted both films, without any further edits, to BIAFF, both receiving good star ratings (one actually rather higher than I'd have given it myself)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

I saved the "Chat" from the Zoom meeting. The chat has the URLs, and I'm going to show some of the films at one of our evenings at Bournmouth Video Club. Even some of the simple things give me ideas for other films.

I agree with Martin Evans - Fun is important!
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

I was happy with the way my film was treated, and certainly did not expect it to win (and of course it didn't!). The more I make, edit and watch films the more experience I gain. Also making films helps me get to know who I am. A few years ago one of my one minute film got second prize in a SoCo comp, out of 2 or 3 entered, and I was so excited - I did not really let on to my friends that there were so few entered! But I have the certificate! :D
With the Open Film Night Challenge I would have chosen a different winner to what Michael chose, but that's fine and helps understand differences.

link to my film below :roll:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DM9kJH ... ohnSimpson[/youtube]