We seem to be shrinking!

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

We seem to be shrinking!

Post by Dave Watterson »

Almost every week I hear of a club, which is going under.

They may be abandoning some or all live meetings for Zoom.

They may be declaring themselves over - and finding some suitable cause to which they can donate any remaining money.

WHY?

Is it a lingering effect of the Covid lockdowns?
As we all get older, are we failing to engage younger and middle-aged enthusiasts to join us?
Do smart phones and general gadgetry make the actual shooting of videos so easy, people believe they do not need help and support?
Should we forget "competitions" and focus on "non-competitive challenges"?

Or should we quietly allow the club scene to fade away?
Willy

Re: We seem to be shrinking!

Post by Willy »

I think that all clubs are shrinking. Also in Belgium, Dave. Some days ago I started to write an article about my two clubs for "Film and Video Maker". I hope the editor will accept it for one of the coming issues.

Club number one: It's not far. About 5 miles from my house. But of course I have to go by car. We come together every Friday evening. The average age is about 67. The chairman is a youngster. He is 62. We are 7 or 8 (out of 12). Unfortunately we sometimes sit there twirling with our fingers. That's very frustrating. But when we have a film in preparation for a competition we are obliged to show it in the club first. However, our chairman must be there. He is the boss. Trying to find possible flaws or weaknesses is the activity par excellence.

Club number two: In September last year I joined the club in my village called "Bjeizel-on-the-Hill". I just have to cross the street. We come together every third Friday evening. The average age is about 73 I guess. The chairman, called Mon or Raymond" is always very cheerful. He is a young octogenarian. In the beginning I felt a bit awkward, but now some new friends ask me to sit together with them at their table. They know I am a competitive filmmaker, but I have told them (read: I have promised them) that I am slowing down. Mon always asks a member to dust off his old movies to have them screened. Most films are very crazy. They laugh out when they can see themselves again in the 70's. The standard is not low. Mostly they are well edited and the story is ok. I really enjoy these films. They also show travel videos and family events. They don't criticize movies. There are always between 25 and 30 members, partners included. They watch funny and interesting films and they have a drink. Sometimes more than one. Some friends enjoy "Duvel" our famous Belgian beer. Really, I am very happy in "Bjeizel-on-the-Hill Filmclub".
Willy Van der Linden