Hard disk drive failure

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
tom hardwick

Hard disk drive failure

Post by tom hardwick » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:26 am

It had to happen of course, but I've just had my first HDD failure. It's over 10 years old and has been used a lot, so I can't complain.

Western Digital. 500gb. Made 21 Jan 2008 in Thailand, fitted by DVC into my Edius pc that I bought Feb 2008. The other two drives in the pc look to be just fine.

What about you guys .. had any drive failures in your time?

John Roberts

Re: Hard disk drive failure

Post by John Roberts » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:39 am

Not a single one, yet... *touches wood* :lol:

I have some ancient 80GB drives that I regularly use, but my oldest drive is actually a Samsung fitted to my desktop PC, which I use for all my film and music work as the data drive (leaving the system drive 'clean'). The PC is now 6.5 years old, but the drive was transferred from a previous PC, where it was used for exactly the same purpose, that failed after 7 years. I had the retailer fit the Samsung drive to the original PC when I bought it, and I swapped it (with some difficulty with connections and physical size) into the new PC when I bought that, because the retailer said it was 'too old' to be fitted to the second machine. Still going strong after nearly 14 years.

Oldest HDD still working but not used regularly is in an Amiga 1200HD from about 1995-ish.

Curiously a recent HDD health check revealed my newest HDD to be faring the worst of all, it re-writes data almost constantly and the culprit is the Windows 10 O/S. Thankfully I use an external drive for data.
"My vision often exceeds my capabilities" (me, 2015)
My views are purely my own and don't necessarily reflect those of any body I might represent :P

TimStannard

Re: Hard disk drive failure

Post by TimStannard » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:36 am

The other day I discovered I couldn't read from a 2006 Hitachi 500GB Deskstar - one of a pile of disks I keep for archiving, but a full reformat and it appears to be fine again. About three years ago I had another of the same model and vintage.
I like to think I replace my main drives (ie those in daily use) every three to 5 years but i suspect I really take much longer between refreshes.

What I have noticed is that (at least in the businesses and schools I support) hard drive failures appear to be much rarer now than 10-15 years ago, and this is in a world where people tend to keep their PCs for longer (hardware limitations are no longer forcing upgrades)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it