Filming Northern lights

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
kidder

Filming Northern lights

Post by kidder »

I am going to iceland in a couple of months and hopefully will get a show of the northern lights,My camera has full manual controls, has anyone got advice as to how best to film the northern lights ?
granfer

Re: Filming Northern lights

Post by granfer »

You may get more information by putting your question on here

http://forum.filmshooting.com/

It's the Forum with experience REAL FILM shooters.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I put your question to a Finnish film maker, Sakari Mäkelä, and he replied:

"They don't show here as south where I live, only in Northern Finland (actually one needs to go some 800 km north from here to see them well), so I haven't had possibilities to shoot them yet.

But as I think how to do it, I would absolutely suggest using a DSLR still camera with timelapse function, and combine those stills to create a video afterwards.

(If I understood correctly, that he wants to do a video, not only still photos)

Auroras are usually so dim, that a video camera can't see them well at all. To have great video from auroras, the best way (in my opinion) would be to use a DSLR with a super wide-angle lens (something like 16-24 mm in a full-frame camera), and use manual settings like 10-20 sec exposure per photo with f/4 aperture and ISO at 800-1600 range. Of course those settings depend on the brightness of auroras and how dark are the surroundings, so that they will not burn too bright in the image.

But I'm not absolutely sure about this, because I haven't done it myself yet, so I suggest also to google some tips before deciding the best equipment for the journey smile

Here's a great Finnish video of auroras in Lapland, shot with DSLR:s as I described."

TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

That is one beautiful video, Dave. Thanks to you and Sakari for contriving to post it here.
Funnnily enogh my favourite shot doesn't even include the Aurora. It's the second shot - with the snow covered trees. It looks so other-worldly. I'm reminded of Roger Dean artwork.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
kidder

Post by kidder »

I put your question to a Finnish film maker, Sakari Mäkelä, and he replied:

"They don't show here as south where I live, only in Northern Finland (actually one needs to go some 800 km north from here to see them well), so I haven't had possibilities to shoot them yet.

But as I think how to do it, I would absolutely suggest using a DSLR still camera with timelapse function, and combine those stills to create a video afterwards.

(If I understood correctly, that he wants to do a video, not only still photos)

Auroras are usually so dim, that a video camera can't see them well at all. To have great video from auroras, the best way (in my opinion) would be to use a DSLR with a super wide-angle lens (something like 16-24 mm in a full-frame camera), and use manual settings like 10-20 sec exposure per photo with f/4 aperture and ISO at 800-1600 range. Of course those settings depend on the brightness of auroras and how dark are the surroundings, so that they will not burn too bright in the image.
Thanks for the info Dave, The video is excellent, I hope I get as results as good
paul
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I once attended a Sony workshop for their EX cameras given by one Alister Chapman, a well known film maker and technical expert. He specifically referred to his experience of filming the Northern Lights and explained his technique. I can't remember the details but it was actual filming with the EX 1 (which I use). He has a site I believe so you can look him up and maybe his Arctic filming stuff may be there.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Kidder, I've just found Alister Chapman's card. He works under the name of Ingenious TV and his web site is www.ingenioustv.com and his E Mail is alister@ingenioustv.com I'm sure he will know all there is to know about filming the Northern Lights rather than just using stills.