4k video

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
col lamb

4k video

Post by col lamb »

Recently on the Edius official forum there has been a thread about Edius editing 4k video footage and the problems that an individual was having getting Edius to work correctly.

Whilst probaly not of interest to many as 4k camcorders do tend to cost quite a few thousand but the response of Grass Valley is interesting, for those of you reading this thread that do not know about 4k, it basically has twice the resolution of 1080i/p HD video.

The specific problem was that Edius would not playback the 4k video without stutter and when outputting a Canopus HQ AVI could be produced but that stuttered, all this on a very powerfull PC.

In an attempt to help out (I have been in regular contact with the individual concerned privately for a couple of years) I aquired his 4k files and in Edius I encountered exactly the same problem he was having, yet using a preset for a RED camcorder in Premiere CS5.5 the footage played back OK but Premiere did not have a suitable output that I could find.

Grass Valley initially refused to accept that there was a problem but after others did just the same test as I with the same results they relented and passed on the problem to their tech guys, they then banned the individual from the forum and removed the post.

Big Brother in Grass Valley is always watching.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
FredD

Re: 4k video

Post by FredD »

Another good reason to use The Avid ! :wink:
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
Michael Slowe

Re: 4k video

Post by Michael Slowe »

Or Media 100, they have supported 4K for at least a year. I've watched their webcam on 4K editing.