tom does a video presentation

IAC General Discussions
tom hardwick

tom does a video presentation

Post by tom hardwick »

I did a Tom video presentation at Westcliff last night - to a great audience, full of feedback and questions. Thank you guys. I drooled over my Sony NX5 and took along my 160 LED lamp as well, which caused nearly as much excitement among the troops.

I showed some of my wedding snippets (oh, the audience were so kind) and we all had an (aghast) laugh at what another editor had done to the footage I'd shot at a wedding for him. Talk about lack of sympathy - for my footage as well as the couple. On top of that they got married in Dagenham ... and it rained...

tom.
col lamb

Re: tom does a video presentation

Post by col lamb »

Tom

By your posting do we infer that presenting is not something you do often?

It can be hard work getting all the information together, doing a straight show of your movies takes time preparing but putting a technical presentation together takes an age.

I have just given our club a presentation on AVCHD etc and that took about 6 hours to put the information together on a Powerpoint slide show + setting up both the Canon 7D and my other displays on the night.

It can be hard work but very rewarding

Col Lamb
Preston Movie Makers
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I'm at a loss to see how my post can suggest I don't do many tom-shows, Col. I do a great many but then I really like demoing equipment, fielding the answers, showing footage and making people see that if you have enthusiasm for this game, you're more than half way there.

Yes, preparation takes many hours and I'm sure that's not often realised. Then there's packing the car, navigating the miles, answering 101 questions and getting home late. Another day's editing lost.

And many clubs give you 50 mins till 9pm, then there's half an hour's natter over a cuppa and half an hour till the caretaker is coughing loudly at the back. That's no time at all to show the delights of the NX5, let alone show any clips and tell people AVCHD isn't Attention Deficit Syndrome Disorder.

tom.
Last edited by tom hardwick on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Tom, I know how you feel. I too do a lot of visits, talks and shows. I'm in Newcastle (from London) the week after next, was in Burnley and due in Dorset then Sussex. Very enjoyable in the main provided you get active participation from the audience. I keep a data base of what I've shown where to avoid unnecessary duplication but I find that I get requests for some of the old ones quite often!

Time is a problem as you so graphically explain. Club business occupies precious run time and the tea break, whilst allowing useful talk, does take time. The Caretaker does start clearing his throat rather sooner than you would prefer but there you go.

You tend to deal with kit as a priority, which is of course your thing, but so good are your wedding films that it is a shame we don't see more of them - are they your copyright or someone else's? By the way, just to clarify your earlier mail, I was not the editor you referred to!
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Michael - you do get about in your club visiting, don't you? And I too have to keep a little book to remind me what I talked about last time. My films are my work are my copyright.