Excellent transfer service

IAC General Discussions
MIKE COAD

Excellent transfer service

Post by MIKE COAD »

My club at Orpington have recently finished a project, the aim of which was to create an archive of members films made since the 1950s. This involved the transfer of Standard 8, Super 8, VHS, etc to digital format. I had around 20 of my own Super 8 films transferred to Mini DV.

The man chosen by our club to carry out the transfers was Tom Hardwick. I wish to thank Tom, via this Forum, for the excellent job he made of the transfer. Having sold my projector, it was many years since I last saw these films but I do remember they were not as good as the digital copies made them out to be. With cleaning, re-splicing, etc, Tom had improved them no end and I was especially struck at how clear most of the commentaries sounded. I certainly don't remember my original Super 8 films sounding that good, indeed I remember most were quite muffled.

If anyone is looking to transfer their old films and videos to Mini DV or DVD, then they can do no better than to use Tom's transfer service.
Michael Slowe

Re: Excellent transfer service

Post by Michael Slowe »

This is a vital service to be aware of because the chances of transferring old film will gradually disappear although I suspect there will be professional (expensive) post production houses available for quite some time yet. Well done Tom.

Actually Tom has just asked me where my old 16mm films were transferred to tape and I was able to tell him that this happened many years ago and it was done by a firm called Tele Cine, then situated in the West End of London. The reason Tom asked was that he had seen some of the eight films I have just put on to You Tube, if you can find them (I sometimes can't!!!) please have a look.

Mike Coad recently did and he sent me a nice mail which I can't find, Mike, can you let me have your E Mail address, ask Dave for mine, I don't want to post it publicly.

[Editor - at the foot of most messages are buttons. One is marked email and sends a message to the writer's email. Another is PM (Private Message) which sends a message for the writer to collect next time they visit the forum.]
tom hardwick

Re: Excellent transfer service

Post by tom hardwick »

Mike - many thanks for your glowing recommendation of the Tom Hardwick transfer service. It's been a pleasure transferring so many Orpington films, and my last two Positive Image articles came about because of these.