COPYING ONES OWN DVDS'S

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Pqtrick

COPYING ONES OWN DVDS'S

Post by Pqtrick »

Technical question about copying ones own authored DVD's. I have burnt a -R DVD using the MAGIX video software having previously edited the project in that programme.

The DVD has a menu with a graphic background, the menu is created from chapter points in the video as normal. The completed original DVD plays both on a computer and a DVD player to a TV. All to me, is OK as normal.

However, the person I have made this DVD for. Wants to give quite a number to his friends and family. Therefore, he wants to produce his own copies, which is OK by me.

He tells me that a copy of the DVD plays OK, but it is without the menu page and chapters. It is just on long video.

Does any one know whether there is a technique to copy a DVD like this and retain the work in its entirety ? Otherwise, I will have to sit by my computer and burn the midnight oil as well as a lot of DVD's.
Dave Watterson

Re: COPYING ONES OWN DVDS'S

Post by Dave Watterson »

Can you find our how he is copying the DVD? What program is he using?

It is important that he copy the whole disc and not just selected folders or files. For example there is rarely anything in the standard "Audio_TS" folder, but most set-top DVD players require that folder to be present.

He may be simply copying the large VOB files which contain the movie but not the additional information.

Another Option

Can your software produce a "disc image"? (Your program may have a different name for it which suggests it allows the making of more copies.)

A disc image is a single file, which includes within it all the folders and files needed. The advantage is that this single file can be easily sent on disc / memory stick / by email if it is not too large etc etc. At the other end the recipient uses a DVD burning program. Most such programs can handle a disc image file. They automatically create all the necessary folders and files.

- Dave
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

He should be able to use an app like Nero and just select "copy disk" and it should produce a mirror copy of your disk, menus and all.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I use Titanium Toast for all my DVD burning both original .img files and copying an existing disc. It is, I am told, the most reliable software around for burning. Their latest version, 10, burns Blu-Ray as well as SD but of course you need a BD burner etc etc.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I'm with Billy - Nero's 'copy disc' produces absolutely identical copies time after time with no hassle whatsoever.
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Thanks folks for your comments regarding this problem of re-burning this DVD. Not for a moment doubting anyone comments, I telephoned yesterday a member who I know well, at my club in Nuneaton. [This is with the benefit of an almost 'free' ASDL telephone line].

He uses MAGIX for editing and I was keen to know whether he had an problem copying discs. I wanted to know whether he used Magix to make further copies or copy them on an other programme from the original disc. I have experienced before some oddities with disc burning on Magix. He confirmed that he used a separate programme to successfully burn his additional copies. So Magix has not any oddities in this case.

I have not caught up with the person I made the DVD disc for, but apparently he still has not been successful making extra copies. He has this tendency to speak French and technical matters more easily resolved face to face rather than on the 'dog and bone'. His vocabulary is becoming richer as he learns more more expressions. Qu'est que un bun fight?

I will report back in case it is of any use. Many thanks for your replies.

For those who may have seen my previous post regarding Mac v PC. I have now ordered a new PC with 8gig of RAM. So with its speed, perhaps my posts will arrive before I have finished tapping them out! Good job I use an text editor first, to endeavour to iron out my spelling and typing mistakes.
ned c

Post by ned c »

No Michael, you don't need a Blu Ray burner if your program is under about 25 minutes. You can burn a Blu Ray compatible MPEG4 AVC HD disc on a standard DVD with a standard burner using the Blu Ray facility in Toast; I have made several discs this way (I use Toast 9 with the Blu Ray Plug In) and they look great.

ned c
billyfromConsett

Hey Ned that's a tasty bit of info! Seriously I thought you need a blu-ray writer to burn a blu-ray compatible high def movie on a standard DVD. I'll see if Nero 9 can do it.

Cheers.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

But Ned, will they play on any commercial Blu-Ray player? I don't want discs that will only play say in a computer. I'm puzzled because I thought that since Sony won the HD DVD battle that Blu-Ray was the only HD DVD format - for wide commercial use that is.
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

For durations of up to about 40 minutes you can burn a Bluray compatible disk on to a standard DVD using H264 coding . Simply create a Bluray Image file and then copy this to the DVD. It works well and it is much less expensive than burning onto a Bluray disk - it also avoids the need to pay for expensive licencing fees if you are to duplicate a large number!

Geoff
ned c

Post by ned c »

In answer to Michael's question yes, these discs will play in a Blu Ray player connected to an HD TV. They are recognized as "AVCHD" discs and I had to download a software upgrade from Sony to get my Blu Ray player to play them; but I was an early Blu Ray user and current Blu Ray players will play AVCHD without an upgrade. As you have Toast 10 with the Blu Ray writer try it out, you will be surprised by the quality of the results.

I am interested that Geoff has got up to 40 minutes on a standerd DVD, the most I have got on is 27 minutes, perhaps because I am at 30 fps?

ned c
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Not the frame rate Ned, much more the single or double layer words.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Tom, you have baffled me, can you explain what single and double layer words mean here? Thanks

ned c
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Yes of course. You can buy single layer DVD-R or +R which will hold 4.35 gb of data, and you can buy double layer blanks that will store 8.5 gb.
billyfromConsett

I bought a double layer disk a few years ago - for £5. I compiled of data to burn to it.

Result - one unreadable disk! Haven't bought one since, after wasting £5.

They are cheaper now, I'll try em again. Biaff will accept blu-ray I'm told.