Sony's camcorder changes

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Geoff Addis

Re: Sony's camcorder changes

Post by Geoff Addis »

The FX1/Z1 are a fine cameras and in no way should they be considered 'old hat', but I do find the tapeless work flow much more to my liking. Having said that, there are some qualities of the Z1 image that I quite prefer; for example, perhaps it is the slightly softer image that is less unkind to CUs of faces; the EX1 can be very cruel in this repect - unless used with a soft focus filter or, better still, a silk stocking on the lens! ... I still enjoy using the Z1 as it balances so well in the hands, the controls are in logical positions and it is not too heavy.

Another worthwhile improvement on the EX1r is the addition of an instant auto iris button on the camera's main hand grip, a very useful feature found on professional cameras that have detachable lenses. The position of this button is such that it may be operated by the third finger, the 1st and 2nd being used for the zoom control. However, although I don't have particularly large or small hands, I do find that I have to 'hunt' a little for it.

Overall, I would say that the improvements made over the original EX1 are mainly in the area of handling and ergonomics rather than any improvement to image quality. In use, I do find that some cameras just 'feel' right, the Z1 for example, but in my opinion the EX1 never quite did; the EX1r is much better in this respect.

Geoff
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

You're right - some cameras just feel right. Did you read my Positive Image this month Geoff? I loved the image quality of the Z7 but from a handling, feel and ergonomic viewpoint I rate the Z1 as better.
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

Yes I did read it. Although I haven't had any experience with the Z7 I do agree with your comments in general - It's the human optics behind the camera that make a good picture!

Geoff