Canon HV30

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
billyfromConsett

Re: Canon HV30

Post by billyfromConsett »

Can anybody tell me if the HV30 has a built-in downconverter so you can shoot in 1080 but edit in SD.
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

If you're asking the question I think you're asking, then yes, it does seem to be possible. I've just bought an HV30 and wanted to use my 'old' editing programme, which doesn't support HDV. I went to the function menu, selected play/out setup. From there I chose playback std and selected auto. If you've got the same instruction manual, it's on page 38!

Hope that helps.

dorothy
ps - for all those who helped with my little problem - just to let you know it was a pc error and the hard drive had to be wiped clean and everything re-installed from scratch - just as well I'd kept a back-up of important documents etc.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Yes, the HV30 can downconvert to SD
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

just to let you know it was a pc error and the hard drive had to be wiped clean and everything re-installed from scratch - just as well I'd kept a back-up of important documents etc.
Phew!
I've been typing with my fingers crossed, hoping all would be well with your camcorder and PC. Now I can relax a bit. It sounds strange but the USB system is not so robust as we would all hope. MicroSoft did well to get it into Windows and help popularise it ... to the extent that even Apple who long championed Firewire for everything are now dropping Firewire and using just USB ports. But the USB system can get into a muddle and it can be the devil to sort out.

Wiping the hard drive seems a pretty extreme approach but presumably there were other problems too.

So - glad to have you back on line with us, Dorothy. Now let us know how you get on with downloading and editing as you finally get to make some movies with that lovely camera.

As for the rest of us ... check your system and find out when you last did a backup !

Cheers

Dave
Roy

Post by Roy »

It's strange how a problem which looks the same as someone elses is solved in a different way. After reading about Dorothy's troubles with her PC not recognising her camera, I told her that my camera's manual told how to cure this. Unfortunately when I connected my Sony HD cam to my PC, it would not recognise it, so I follwed the instructions and it still didn't work. At this stage I should say that I was connecting the camara via the Firewire sockets of the breakout box of Pinacle 500 DV which used Adobe Premiere 6.5. On the Monitor screen when The editing programme is selected an RT box is employed to select either analogue or DV capture. With all my other camcorders I've simply selected DV and then gone to the project settings and selected the camera being used. This is how the manual tells you to do it, and there's never been the slightest problem with it until the Sony was connected. It took me s few days before stumbling on the cure by accident. It was just a matter of reversing the order of selection. After selecting DV in the RT box no Sony choice was given to select. I went to the project Capture selection box and just for curiosity, viewed the choices and there it was the Sony Camera. I selected it and went back to the RT box, and low and behold the Sony appeared as a choice.
It was not a one off blip, as this procedure has to be followed everytime I want to capture from the Sony Cam.
It's worth it though as the Download converter of the Cam produces a better image in SD than a simliar SD camcorder, even my 3 chip one. Roy