A Video Demo - worth a punt?

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
billyfromConsett

A Video Demo - worth a punt?

Post by billyfromConsett »

As part of a presentation I gave at our club tonight, I made a three minute movie showing my 9 year old speak to camera with a variety of mics on a windy hill in the freezing cold North East.

I owe him a trip to toysrus for this.

Anyhow, he demod an on-board mic, windgaged it, a directional mic, a lapel mic, and some Sennheiser wireless kit.

Yours truly did a cameo at the end.

Is this kind of teaching worth us doing and putting on the web? Do you know of more of these?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRcc9OfgmY

Comments please - though it is not really a movie.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Enjoyed your piece on microphones. There are quite a lot of instructional pieces for video makers on the web, including a lengthy introduction to the Canon XH A1. I like these pieces and I am sure that in time, combined with websites for stills and text, they will replace print media.

ned c
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

I thought that was really good - I've been looking at mics and sound in the last two weeks, so I found it quite interesting.

I watched something similar a few days ago here:
http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public?view=web
go down to video, and then chose ty ford mic demo, and that plays a qt video. not sure if it's working right now, but that could be me too.

You said the only advantage of the shotgun was that the recording level was lower... Well desn't that mean that background noise was reduced too?

great job anyway, and I always like your accent too! :-)
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
billyfromConsett

I said that the only advantage (in this particular location, with the directional mic on the hotshoe of the cam) was lower recording levels. In truth hardly an advantage. The background sounds of cars was less, but the wind noise wasn't reduced enough imo. You can play with the bass equalisation in post though.

A louder voice with recording levels low, with the mic placed lower would be more ideal. But that demo was with no crew or mic stand.

On the top hill, in a windy area, should get you to do everythng you can to minimise wind noise.
billyfromConsett

Here's an article about two windgags. I had used the rycote in my demo. http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=183