IS WILLY STILL SAD?

IAC General Discussions
Pqtrick

IS WILLY STILL SAD?

Post by Pqtrick »

Is Willy still sad? Reading his sad story about the closing of his beloved 'club house' he can be assured that the very same things happen in the UK. In this case, not a movie making club, but a long established children's theatre workshop. The only connection with movie making, is that I endeavoured to make a documentary about this unfolding story.

I became involved in making this film, because I believed an injustice was being done by the local district council. This together with the obsession by the council's paid officials to be as obstructive as possible over the years. The building, a Victorian school which had been declared surplus to needs thirty five years before and had been taken over by that council. Another good reason was, that I had involved two actors in a drama film, who had grown up within the group and were now in their early twenties.

A children's theatre workshop had been developed, over many years, introducing youngsters to various interactive skills, give them self esteem and become more confidence. The building had been used on a rental basis and the group converted into a small workshop theatre over the years. Several plays and activities were staged thought the year. The town was deficient in places for people to meet, not the least the youngsters in this small town. It was also used by the small local drama group.

The local council decided that the building must close. The reason? Take your pick. Every reason under the sun was fielded but really they [the council] wanted the land to build on. Not enough car parking, the building was unsafe, there may be asbestos in there, health and safety et al. For 'closure' read the relevent council papers about 'exit strategy'.

I started shooting my film in February 2006 as the buildings fate was to be sealed by the following September. The documentary was never concluded and stays on my computers time-line unfinished.

The building remains forlorn and closed. The theatre workshop of more than a hundred youngsters is almost disbanded after more than thirty years. What has been achieved? The old school could not be sold for building land as the council had overlooked the fact that the building had been 'listed'. The group tried to buy the building, but a higher bidder 'emerged' the council claimed.

In the course of trying to make the film, everything from the councils point of view was deemed 'confidential'. Yet, I had in front of me papers stating the facts, which were in the public domain. Why so secretive anyway, state security was not at stake.

So in getting involved in a project, it does tend to take you over and although you are endeavouring to maintain an editorial balance, you may find that you haven't and perhaps my case, it is why the project remains unfinished.

So Willy, don't be too sad, these things happen both sides of the water to a greater degree. Many of us can sympathise with you and your plight. These are the very activities which make up a local community in the UK and yet many local councils are 'hell bent' on putting an end to them.

Perhaps to complete my documentary, I can get a colleague in the UK to film the run up to, and results of the next local elections! However, in saying so, does it make the point in my case, I may have become too close to this issue? PW.
ned c

Post by ned c »

A sad story indeed. My story is short, Millennium, I lived in a small Suffolk village and we decided to have a street party, mainly for the children, the mums to prepare sandwhiches, jellies, cakes. We asked the local council if the road could be closed for a short time, not only could the road not be closed but the mums had to be approved by health and safety as food preparers. End of party. Wish I had filmed the officials in action.

Complete your documentary but please do NOT be balanced or even handed, go for the jugular. I am not a great admirer of Michael Moore as a person but love the way he puts the boot in to well deserving targets.

We n-c film makers are better positioned to have our say about things than any other film makers.

ned c
Willy

Post by Willy »

ned c wrote:A sad story indeed. My story is short, Millennium, I lived in a small Suffolk village and ...ned c
The end is very near now. 23rd September, the last day in our clubhouse !  Yes, I am still very sad, but I still have some fighting spirit". (I wonder if this is the right expression in English). Now I know that some English friends have written a letter of protest to our mayor. Many thanks ! I also spoke to some important politicians. Apparently our Mayor was surprised. It seems that he would like to speak to us. Maybe to save his political career, but that's not my problem. In the mean time the secretary of my Willebroek club has also found some new courage to go on. Together we found a new place. It's on the first floor of a tavern and maybe we'll have to pay for it, but not so much. Also the former mayor wants to help us. So, we'll see. We have too many members who are reasonably young and energetic. We decided to go on because some of us don't want to move to the club "next door". They even prefer to give up making films ! This morning I was still in Roermond (Holland). I was a member of the judging panel. What a fantastic experience it was ! I will talk about it on a different thread.Tomorrow I am going to France to to take a breath of fresh air at the seaside. Everybody needs this from time to time.
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

Last night we were in our clubhouse for the very last time in 22-23 years. I delivered a speech and showed some of the funniest films we have seen the last few years. It was also to create some laughter ... After the filmshow I took the banner "Focus 1960-2000" off the wall. That was a very emotional moment. Two members had tears in their eyes. I reminded my friends of the fantastic times we had in all those years. I also reminded them of the very good friends that passed away and that we lost.  Etc... After that I told them that we would do our utmost to find a new clubhouse so that we can hang the banner on the wall of the new room.
'The Seahaven'
Today I visited two taverns together with 5 friends. In our village there is a canal. In the  centre there is a tavern called "the Seahaven". It has a maximum capacity of 50 people. There was a lot of smoke ... My wife smelt it when I got home. After 1 Januuary, however, smoking will be forbidden in Belgian pubs. I will be very happy. The landlady of "The Seahaven" is very old. All the time she is sitting on a high stool behind her counter and you have to order drinks there which is unusual in Belgium.One moment she sneezed and took a dirty handkerchief. Then she filled the glasses ...
'The Brown Bear'
After that we went to a new tavern in a hamlet called Blaasveld. The landlady of 'The Brown Bear' is very young and everything is very clean. The door of the room with a capacity of about 25 people was closed, but it will be open tomorrow. At the end of the week we will take a decision. Good that these two rooms are free. We don't have to pay for them.
Take courage
Hopefully we'll be able to organize activities again. In sadness you can find new courage to start something new and better.
Willy Van der Linden