Audio Fun

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
stingman

Audio Fun

Post by stingman »

Dear all,

I actually learnt something and had some fun at my Video Club :shock: :lol:

We had a learning evening, and one of the things we tried was to take out singing from an audio track useing Audacity It worked :shock:

I thought I`ll try it with Premiere. One of the things I had to do was to split the stereo track to a Mono left and a Mono right track. Two tracks in all. I looked in the help file. I did what it said but the Convert track to Mono was greyed out. Oh Crumbs, I thought. (I did say `Oh Bugger really!`) So Ill have to try to work that out.

Anyway, I`ve downloaded Audacity, so i can try it out for real. When I went to college, I did learn all about this, but over the years I`ve forgotton how this strange thing works.

Anyway... Have fun my friends.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Ian - I think this may be the first time you have written positively about your club on the forum !

In private messages you have mentioned good and bad points about your club, but in public we tend to see the gripes more than the grins. Good on you for telling it like it is.

Cheers

Dave
Ray Williamson

Post by Ray Williamson »

The way this works is by reversing the phase of one of the channels.
Since a solo vocalist is usually dead centre of the stereo image, his/her voice is then 180 degrees out of phase on one side, so when the channels are mixed back together it disappears.
Obviously it won`t work if a mono image is divided into two. The whole lot will tend to vanish!
Ray Williamson, East Sussex.
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thankyou Dave for your kind comments!

Thank you Ray. I was how I remembered it in my youth. You explained it very well. I think that after this process if the vocals are still present (if abit quiet), then it`s due to the studios panning the vocals to one side.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Ray Williamson

Post by Ray Williamson »

You are quite right!
It may be possible to reduce or eliminate remaining vocals by adjusting the balance control.
However, the musicians` microphones will mostly pick up some vocals as well, so it probably is not possible to eliminate vocals altogether.
It will be OK for karaoke, however!
Now we know what to do in these long winter evenings!
Ray Williamson, East Sussex.