Canon XM2 problem - any ideas?

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dave Watterson

Canon XM2 problem - any ideas?

Post by Dave Watterson »

Someone tried to post this message but had not registered for the forum, so their message appeared in the "failed applications" list along with all the spam. I could not find their name, but since it sounds like a genuine question - and they can read the threads without being registered - I have rescued the message below- Dave
I have a Canon XM2 camcorder and now when I record a tape, it will only playback on the XM2 itself. If I put the tape into my Sony camcorders, they play back with the picture having wide horizontal streaking lines. However, my older tapes recorded on my XM2 will playback on my Sony camcorders fine. If I play my older tapes on the XM2, they play with the horizontal streaky lines. I want to repair this (along with the XM2's faulty zoom). But I am concerned that I will no longer be able to playback my recent recorded tapes. My first question: Is this because the heads have become misaligned (through wear)? Is there a way to test this? My second question: If I get a deck for playback, will the heads be able to adjust to play the tapes recorded out of alignment (assuming that is what has happened)? I'm currently looking at the Sony GV-HD700E, does anyone know if this is very good with it's video tracking? Sony Deck on their website: http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct. ... ccessories Many thanks.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

It does sound like a head wear problem to me, or possibly an alignment one. I wonder if the XM2 has has a lot of wear and tear, or if it's been dropped. This may have missaligned guide rollers but I think it would have been damage that the owner would have commeneted on in his post.

Sounds like a job for Canon themselves, but the repair costs these days - when the HV20 is so cheap - often make it uneconomic to repair a 4:3 cam.

tom.
Ray Williamson

Post by Ray Williamson »

Wide horizontal lines -- a venetian blind effect -- are usually caused by one of the two heads on the drum being dirty.
Clean both heads with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol.
Leave to dry --- VERY IMPORTANT -- before putting a tape in again. (If you do not, the tape will stick and get chewed up).
Of course, it may be more serious, but it usually pays to think of the simplest things first.
I have had this trouble and that is what effected a perfect cure!
Best of luck.
Ray Williamson, East Sussex.