Transfer dvd back to pc

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
alansmith

Transfer dvd back to pc

Post by alansmith »

Hi, can anyone suggest the best way to transfer some DVDs back to a pc, in order to make up a compilation of films from various people. I have done it in the past by using T Rex to capture and convert but not good enough if editing was required. I have just been asked the question but can't give a reliable answer as I have not done it for several years and I suspect there is a better way available now.
Alan
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

If you look at a DVD with something like Windows Explorer you will see the films themselves are stored as VOB files. (Ignore other types of file.)

A VOB file is only a special form of MPG file. Many editing systems can cope with MPG files.

1) Copy a nnn.VOB file to your hard drive.
2) Rename it as nnn.MPG file.
3) Import the MPG file into your editing program.
4) You will probably have to render it before it is easily visible.

With Premiere Pro I find the system will only let me import and render one MPG file per project. I usually export each one as a movie in the nnn.AVI format then start a new project for the next conversion.

The AVI files can easily be edited as usual.

Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Some programs - like Pinnacle Studio (10 upwards I think) can import direct from the DVD (it finds all the VOB files on an inserted dvd and imports them as Dave says, as mpegs. Avid Liquid can import them too (unofficially!) - but you have to select the vob file even though the file type isn't offered as an option. There is no limit to the number of mpegs you can import into Liquid. And you can mix them with other formats on the time line (I believe Premiere can do that too?).
alansmith

transfer DVD back to pc

Post by alansmith »

Many thanks for the advice Dave and Mike. I will pass it on via the forum and perhaps get a new member for the IAC???
Alan
Ray Williamson

Post by Ray Williamson »

Ulead VideoStudio will do that, certainly form version 6 upwards.
It is very cheap from amazon.co.uk
"Cheap" does not mean "inferior". Ulead do excellent programs that are very easy to use.
Ray Williamson, East Sussex.
PMiddy

Post by PMiddy »

Mpeg DVD AKA Flask Mpeg is another program that will do this. It's freeware and easy to find on the net. It allows you to choose your input and output files with a good quality result.

Cheers
Pete
ned c

Post by ned c »

I simply play the DVD out from my DVD player to the input on the DV VCR and re-record as DV. S video works well. Some cameras will accept analog in recording (my Canon XH A1 does but only composite video). This makes it every easy to archive, edit and make compilations. I have seen very little deterioration in the picture quality. We have done this with transcodes to NTSC from PAL and directly from NTSC for the annual AMPS winners compilation,

ned c