Fantastic Wedding and Video Editing Etc

IAC General Discussions
stingman

Fantastic Wedding and Video Editing Etc

Post by stingman »

Dear All,
Why are you reading this. Get a life and get out in that sun!
Only Joking!

My Daughter got married the other week and it was my privilege to walk her down the aisle.
I wanted to video it myself, but the wife didn`t like that idea! My friend videos weddings so he got one of his helpers to do it. I would have chosen other shots, It`s always the same when you are into something and someone else does it for you!
The sound was a bit bad on some of the songs, the gain was alittle too much on the mic. But overall, it was good. I filmed the evening Disco.

I have just bought my wife a USB2 External Dual Layer DVD burner. It`s excellent. The edited length of the finished film is 2 hours and 8 minutes. To keep the quality up, I used a Dual Layer dvd disc and it just fit on. WHAT A RIP-OFF IS THE PRICE OF THESE DISCS! £24.99 for 5! I did find them a bit cheaper but still a bit of a rip-off!

It came with `Video Producer`and Nero. VP is an excellent programme. It worked straight out of the box. So simple to use. My dvd had a front page with music and then the film. I edited in Prem Pro and exported as a movie. I put it into VP and it rendered the DVD and burnt it in 4 hours. Prem Pro would have taken all day without the option to also save a (what`s it called) Disc Image, that`s it!

In the editing I put a few `Ian Gardner Features` (Trade-Mark).

So over all a job well done. A good day and an experience of a life time.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Ian

Best wishes to your daughter and congratulations to mum and dad.

Now, face it Ian, who is going to watch a 128 minute wedding video - even with your trade-mark touches? The happy couple and two sets of parents - that's who.

Give yourself a few weeks to get over the excitement, then set about cutting a highlights video - no more than 10 minutes long. You might even try one of your montages to music with a suitably romantic song. I'll bet the short version could be the most welcome Christmas present for family and close friends this year.

That also solves the problem of expensive dual-layer DVDs.

Thanks for the tip about Video Producer. It seems that many of the established big names in editing systems are now facing a real challenge from smaller and cheaper products that do not do everything the big boys do ... but do it very well.

I wonder if it is possible to make a wedding video that would get an award in an amateur film festival? I've done a lot of judging and can only remember one over the years that was even entered and none that got a major prize. Think of it as a challenge, Ian? A public version for people who don't know the family ...

Dave

PS Those of us with work to do don't get out in the sun!
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thank you for your kind comments Dave.

Yes. A two hour wedding film is a bit over the top but when it`s family then they want to see EVERYTHING! I could have made it longer but they don`t make DVD discs that long! When I watched My wedding on video, It was a really excitting time, I couldn`t wait to see it and watched it over and over again. That was 21 years ago, and we still watch it now and again. I wished that was longer. When you produce a wedding video for people you don`t know then you tend to do a bit more cutting and make it more watchable.
I like the ideas of a ten minute version. I could really go to town on it :wink: :wink: :wink: :D !

A version for one of the competitions! Now THAT IS different. Watch this space! The only problem I see is that I didn`t film the wedding bit, but I filmed the evening `Drunk Disco` session. That is only a personal thing as I don`t believe in entering a film for competition when I havn`t filmed it!

The weather is goargious down here at the moment! It`s Cowes Week, and the yachties are down in the boats. I havn`t been over to Cowes this year. I did the garden this morning and watched the wifes car and my motorbike, but I digress!

See you all soon..
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Michael Gough

Snappy Weddings

Post by Michael Gough »

Hi all,

I agree with Dave. Even families occasionally want the "short" version of the wedding. A long time ago I was ending a wedding video with a "musical memory" which flash backed from the happy couple dancing together. As they romantically waltzed the pictures dissolved back to the day as seen through all the shots which included them, arrivals, vows, confetti, cake etc. It only lasted as long as the song they were dancing to.

I quickly realised that this was a perfect synopsis of everything that is important. So I produced this 3 minute musical memory as a separate film with its own title (usually the title of the song) I then placed it at the beginning of the tape, before the full length version.

I soon found that it was the most popular item. Couples could always find it easily at the beginning of the tape to show to friends who just popped in to say "Congratulatiopns". They saw the important things like the bride's dress without the need to hear all the speeches. Some even asked to see the rest of the video.

I still do this on DVD although it would be possible with chapter headings to cut instantly to that sequence at the end of the film. I still like the discipline of giving it it's own title and credits. When my own club wanted to see my daughter's wedding that was the only three minutes that I showed them. They loved it and put it into our local InterClub Competition programme as part of the Club entry. It ended up getting the award as the Best Individual Film.

So Ian, get editing. They will love it.
stingman

Post by stingman »

Good idea Michael, I`ll have to plan it. I could put it into the short Open comp at the club.

I can see the comments now! `This sort of thing is really mean`t to be private and people don`t want to see other peoples personael film etc....`!!!

Who cares. I do all the firsts in my club so this will be a first!

I was the first to get a final written warning... But thats another story!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

hey Ian

I feel another thread coming on here !!!!!

final written warning ye gads!!!

:shock:
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
stingman

Post by stingman »

You asked for that Stephen!
Your wish is my command 8)
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
billyfromConsett

Re: Fantastic Wedding and Video Editing Etc

Post by billyfromConsett »

stingman wrote:Dear All,
I have just bought my wife a USB2 External Dual Layer DVD burner.
This is what she thought of that :evil:

I remember getting my wife a deep fat fryer for Christmas. That was what the solicitor quoted in the divorce petiton.

I make the odd wedding video, they usually turn out to about 50 minutes long. But a 2 hours job!! Hey you could put it onto Biaff. Just joking- that would get you a contract (from an assassin).
stingman

Post by stingman »

Stephen wrote:hey Ian

final written warning ye gads!!!

:shock:
Don`t mention this! I`m framing it :D If your a Pioneer or a trend setter, or even live on high principles, then one has to take a bit of flack for the common good! That`s me.
So if any of you do something wrong, then you know who to blame...... Me.
I started the Gulf war don`t you know :shock: !!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
stingman

Post by stingman »

billyfromConsett wrote:
stingman wrote:Dear All,
I have just bought my wife a USB2 External Dual Layer DVD burner.
This is what she thought of that :evil:

I remember getting my wife a deep fat fryer for Christmas. That was what the solicitor quoted in the divorce petiton.

I make the odd wedding video, they usually turn out to about 50 minutes long. But a 2 hours job!! Hey you could put it onto Biaff. Just joking- that would get you a contract (from an assassin).
No. She asked for it. ..... No really 8) ! We buy each other pratical items. It saves us both money in the long run. She wanted to burn cd`s on here laptop. It doesn`t have a burner.

Remember, it was a family wedding so I could get away with it more. My daudgter wanted as much as possible.

BIAFF. Now THAT`s an idea. I could set another trend like when I entered a blank film :shock: But you`ve all heard that one :roll: :roll: !
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

stingman wrote: BIAFF. Now THAT`s an idea. I could set another trend like when I entered a blank film :shock: But you`ve all heard that one :roll: :roll: !
I'd rather watch a blank two hour vcr tape than a stranger's 2 hour wedding video. :shock:

By the way, if you enter it, citing me, then I'm dead. The Biaff manager, Brian knows where I live.

Seriously, I've a wedding to film later this month, and I've just treated my wife ("my wife"=me :D ) to a Sennheiser wireless kit. It's an impressive kit, and deserves it's own films.

Ideas need to appear...
stingman

Post by stingman »

You buy your wife a Wireless kit and I buy mine a CD Burner! Great minds think alike. Think about it. It`s more useefull and practical then a new dress isn`t it. You`ve saved yourself quite a bit of money.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Good idea Dave - a highlight video. At the end of all my wedding films I condense the day in to a montage of all the happiest, best bits. I'm guessing the bride can take that into work and show her buddies a 4 minute film that starts with the groom at the church and ends with the couple on the dance floor.

tom.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Its always missed off wedding videos - the best comedy part, i.e. the honeymoon first night ... but it's usually only a 3 minute job.
Peter