The IAC`s 75th Film

IAC General Discussions
stingman

The IAC`s 75th Film

Post by stingman »

I was just wondering (as I do most of the time) if the IAC`s 75th Annaversary film is ever going to be put onto the IAC`s website?
Some of us specialy filmed Self-Interviews for the film. I know we can get it from the IAC`s library, but I don`t really want to pay to watch it seeing alot of us gave up a few days to contribute to it.

The IAC seems to want to have on it`s website, `Free` films (and links to) that have won competitions etc, but when it does one itself, it chooses to withhold it from the general public.

I would have thought that this film would be the perfect way to tell the public how good it is and how it can help new film makers better themselves.

What do others think?

Seeing I`m the moderator of this IAC Forum and just writting about this topic (you may think is a bit harsh to the IAC), does mean (and show) that I havn`t got my hands tied by the IAC, but am fair to all who post.

Am I Harsh? Am I fair? What do you think? It`s over to you.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Am I Harsh? Am I fair? What do you think? It`s over to you.
Nonsense, Ian, you are all tact and charm !

Actually it is a fair question but I am not sure who can answer it. David Andrew produced it, Michael Gough edited it with him and it was - I understand - screened at the celebratory weekend.

There seems little chance of a free copy for those who took part. Shame.

I suspect it is too long to fit easily onto our website. Anything more than 4 or 5 minutes takes a long time to load. I should be seeing some of the IAC top brass at the UNICA Festival soon and will ask. Unless, of course, any of them choose to write to the forum and let us know ...

As for being independent ... most of those who write to the forum are supporters of IAC but not members of its governing body and so our hands are not tied. Not that censorship is an IAC trait anyway ...

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thank you Dave for your answer. Were see what happens.
I do believe that it would be a good tool to use for the IAC. If any of the top Brass at the IAC do any lectures etc or are on a membership drive, then it could be used then.

What about for those members of the forum who want a copy, pay the IAC a nominal charge to cover postage and packing for a copy. As we all know, it only costs pennys to copy one (including media) and postage is really cheap. Could you surgest that.

Your loyal servant!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Willy

Re: The IAC`s 75th Film

Post by Willy »

Am I Harsh? Am I fair? What do you think? It`s over to you

You're honest, Ian. Maybe I was of the only foreigners who was interviewed. It took me some time to record the interview in my club. Some friends helped me. David Andrew seemed to be very pleased with the result. I was standing next to a huge photograph of Sean Connory. Romy Van Krieken, the Dutch journalist, was in Bradford and told me that she had seen me in the film standing next to my friend Sean. My friends and I would like to see this film.
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Gough

75th.Anniversary Film

Post by Michael Gough »

Hi All,

Just to bring you up-to-date on the 75th.Anniversary Film. It is called “The Noble Network” and lasts 28 minutes. Because of it’s length I doubt it will be put on the website. However there is every intention to distribute it as far as possible.

David Andrew wrote and directed it and it’s focus is on what individual members think of the services that the IAC offer. I edited it and in that capacity I found it fascinating. I knew we had an excellent magazine, competition, video library, music advisory service, copyright clearance, website etc. but even I did not know the background as to how these facilities were operated and how much we all owe to the various volunteers who serve us so well.

It will be an eye-opener for existing members and excellent promotional material for potential members. To reassure the questions in this chat thread, all contributors will eventually receive their own free copy. Copies will also be distributed to Regions for inclusion in Ambassador Schemes and any other presentations or distributions that they see fit. It will certainly be in the video library for hire, probably with a compilation of the other films selected for Bradford. Other ideas are also under consideration.

This brings me to a personal apology. It is basically my fault that the distribution has not already started. During the week prior to the Bradford Premiere my hard drive crashed and my computer was express carried up and down the country to get it mended. Although the film was premiered at Bradford there were a couple of things which still needed to be done. When it was eventually finalised I sent a copy to David, then went on holiday. When I returned last week I was told that there was a small glitch which needed to be repaired before copies could be made. Hopefully that has now been done and we await Val’s return from UNICA to arrange library and distribution copies.

Please be patient. It was greeted with approval in Bradford and I’m sure you will find it both entertaining and inspiring. You will even get the chance to put faces to some of the key contributors to this Chatroom.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Given the relatively low cost of DVD volume production nowadays how about a copy sent out with F&V Maker? Has a short version (say 5 to 10 minutes) been considered for putting on YouTube and any of the movie related websites around the world? All non-commercial movie organisations need all the publicity we can get.

All praise to the IAC for making the movie hope it gets wide distribution and helps the n-c movement survive.

Ned C
stingman

Re: 75th.Anniversary Film

Post by stingman »

Michael Gough wrote:Hi All,

Just to bring you up-to-date on the 75th.Anniversary Film. It is called “The Noble Network” and lasts 28 minutes.

It will be an eye-opener for existing members and excellent promotional material for potential members. To reassure the questions in this chat thread, all contributors will eventually receive their own free copy.

Please be patient. It was greeted with approval in Bradford and I’m sure you will find it both entertaining and inspiring. You will even get the chance to put faces to some of the key contributors to this Chatroom.
“The Noble Network”. That is a funny title. I do get the title but shurly `The IAC`s 75th Year` or `75 Years of the IAC and Beyond` may have been better. The the title that was used, nobody outside the IAC would know what it`s about?

No-one told me that contributers would get a copy!? It makes me feel a little bit bad for bringing up the subject of it and my lack of not having a copy. Sorry for moaning! Please disregard a post posted today before this one in a different thread! :oops: :)

Putting faces to people will be fun and one of the reasons why I want to see the film!
For the record. My little scene was a bit short because I was using my old camera that was playing up so I rushed it a bit because the camera was dying slowly. It was windy and I had my old hairstyle that comes to life in the wind. Because of the camera faults, I had filmed little material for poor Michael to Blue Screen me. I had an excellnt shot of a hovercraft doing trials in Ryde Harbour and the Solent. Poor Michael would have heard my reactions because the fauilt was with the recording of the picture side. The audio carried on recording with intermittant pictures.
Michael better not send it to `You`ve Been Framed`! I want a cut of the £250 if he does!

See you Chaps.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »

Perhaps I am rather dim (no perhaps my family would say) but I don't get the relevance of the tiltle "The Noble Network". Someone explain please.

ned c
stingman

Post by stingman »

ned c wrote:Perhaps I am rather dim (no perhaps my family would say) but I don't get the relevance of the tiltle "The Noble Network". Someone explain please.

ned c
I was being polite Ned C! But `Noble` means Posh, Class, Gentry and Network means network (we know what that means) So Posh Network!

May be the person who thinked it up will answer. Were get an answer tonight.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Michael Gough

The Noble Network

Post by Michael Gough »

In this context the word Noble has nothing whatsoever to do with the landed gentry. I'm not posh although some of my best video friends are!

I have looked up the word "noble" and it can mean:- "good", "splendid", "admirable" etc. That is precisely what was meant when a contributor to the film described the IAC as "a noble network".

That sound bite leapt out as a suitable title, complete with its natural alliteration. It referred to the fact that the IAC is basically an invaluable network of colleagues and contributors. "If you have a problem there will be someone out there who can help you". The film interviews people seeking help with choosing music, solving equipment incompatibility problems, learning from technical forums, benefitting from judges comments, reading practical hints in the magazine, sharing audiences and enjoying Festivals etc. etc.

The network exists whether you are a member of a club or a lone worker, wherever you live in the world. It is a sharing network operated by keen volunteers who work for the common good. This very chatroom is evidence of precisely what is meant by "a noble network".

The 75th.Anniversary provided the impetus to make it but it is only part of the subplot of the film. This is not a film that dwells much in the past. It celebrates and promotes what the IAC offers now and looks to the future.
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thank you Michael for putting us straight. In fact it`s a very good title. Every good film includes the title spoken somewhere in the film.

I see another thread coming on!...............

Thanks
Ian Gardner
Film Maker