HDV

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

HDV

Post by ned c »

A quick update on my adventures with HDV. This is all recent and I am still very low on the learning curve. I bought a Canon XH A1 camera and so far I have shot 4 hours of HDV with it. The results are excellent and the camera has a wide range of controls. I view my results on a 24 inch HD TV and have also seen them on a 52 inch Aquos, amazing! I have Final Cut Studio on a 24 inch Intel iMac, 3 Gb RAM and the hi end graphics card. Capturing and editing works fine, conforming for print to tape takes time, dependent on how many FX are included but usually 2 to 4 times the lenth of the program. So far so good. Now waiting for the resolution of the BluRay v HDDVD war and the price of writers and media to come down.

Ned C
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thank you for sharing with us your first staps into HDTV.
I`m just waiting for prices to come down and my savings to go up.
Does any one else have any stories to tell with there exploites with HDTV?

Ian Gardner
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

As many of you know I have been shooting in HDV for a while now and have actuall completed four films, teo of which were screened at this year's BIAFF.

I find that even when downscaled to DV the pictures are better than from my previous high quality Sony DSR 300 (DVCAM) camera but the projector has to be good to show the difference. My Alpaca film looked much better in one of the BIAFF cinemas whereas in a different cinema my 'Fleece To Fibre' looked rather 'muddy' in common with all the DV films because the projector was an older sub standard one.

The one big problem with all the current HDV cameras is the small chip size which is giving way too much depth of field and with lousy low rez view finders are the very devil to focus which is more critical with HDV due to the fact that any faults are so much more visible. The new solid state camera just announced by Sony, based on the pro XDCAM system with half inch chips and a 'proper' lens sounds really interesting but no price info yet. Watch out for the XDCAM EX, that's its name.

The image storage cards are going to be far cheaper than the Panasonic P2 (deathknell to that I feel) and prices will come down. With the BBC going tapeless by 2010 that is the way things will go. Don't kid yourself that we don't care about the professional world because manufacturers like to combine all markets with their kit if they can.

Currently I convert my HDV footage to HD and edit in that as I have explained in writing elsewhere. Many people consider that HDV is a wonderful acquisition medium but like to get out of it as soon as they have their material!

Sorry if I bored you but this is a subject that interests many at the moment and I am frequently approached to discuss my experiences with HDV.

Just before I go I must comment on Ken Wilson's similarity to Alfred Hitchcock referred to in another post! Ken, you are getting his figure, why can't we see the famous silhouette in your next film?
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thank you Michael for your interesting comments. If you can (and any one else) keep us posted on the HDV front. This is the future now in video making. We just need the IAC, clubs and other bodies to upgrade there gear. Just think of it at next years competition having a few entries in HDV. Fansy seeing THAT on the big screen at hartlypool next year. Not at home on some portable 42" screen in your living room! but at the Baiff or whatever!
Yes Ken. You have a challenge to include yourself as Alfred Hitchcock in your next films! We look forward to next years event!
You saw it here first guys :D :D

Ian Gardner
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »

Just a quick note to let you know that AMPS is accepting HDV entries on tape for this year's Festival. They will be played out from a Sony HDV deck to a 1080 60/50i LCD for the judging and we are arranging for a suitable projector for the Festival. We know the judging set-up works but haven't tested the projector set-up yet. We also accept PAL entries on miniDv and DVD

Ned C
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thanks Ned C for the info. It`s quite interesting. Let us know how it goes and what you think of the resultant pictures! Will it be like looking out of a window!

Ian Gardner
Ian Gardner
Film Maker