Sound Buzz

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
stingman

Sound Buzz

Post by stingman »

Dear all filmmakers, especally audio guys,

I`ve got a 3 camera project do edit in Premiere Pro for a friend of mine. I cannot say what it is but it is for a DVD with a famous artist who was in a really big electric guitar group in the 70`s. The main man went on holiday in a big London Bus! (not my man!) I`ve done this sort of editing before. This is no problem but on the main soundtrack, there is an audio buzz :roll: I didn`t film it so it`s no my fault!

Is there an easy way to get rid of without loosing too much top end (treble) quality in the recording.

Has anyone found a good way to get rid of it?

Cheers guys.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Ian

First make sure the buzz really is on the tapes. I once spent ages mucking about with a soundtrack hum only to find that a fault in my computer kit was adding the buzz at that stage and the original tapes were fine!

There are lots of sound editing programs which can help. My own favourite is Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) which is shareware - you can download it and try it for free. If you want to use it a lot pay the fee of 30 Canadian dollars which is less than £20.

Play with its preset controls and one of the filters may do just what you need. You can then fine-tune with manual adjustments.

You may need a divorce first, however. The only way to edit soundtracks is to listen with decent speakers and the volume fairly high. This is not a task for matchbox-sized speakers or normal headphones. The repeated playing of bursts of sound can drive the rest of the family round the bend. You have been warned!

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

Dave Watterson wrote:Hi Ian

There are lots of sound editing programs which can help. My own favourite is Goldwave (www.goldwave.com)

You may need a divorce first, however. The only way to edit soundtracks is to listen with decent speakers and the volume fairly high. This is not a task for matchbox-sized speakers or normal headphones. The repeated playing of bursts of sound can drive the rest of the family round the bend. You have been warned!

Dave
Thanks for the reply. I forgot you were the `Goldwave Man!`. I won`t get Goldwave, as this is proberly only a one off problem that my friend encountered. He didn`t seem THAT worried about it. When he gave me the harddrive with the 3 camera films on and I loaded it up, I said `Oh CRUMBS!!!!. I was not happy to say the least!

As for `a divorce`. No way! I like being married. It`s just my 3 teenage kids that spoil it :twisted: !But heh, we cannot have it our way all the time. Once would be nice through, that would be 8) . Even through the project is in just stereo. My `Video Computer` has Dolby Digital so I can get quite a good volume on it. I`ll do most of the editing when i`m the only one in. I am lucky with work hours and the kids being out when I in!

Thanks David.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker