If Money Was No Object?

IAC General Discussions
stingman

If Money Was No Object?

Post by stingman »

Dear all,
If money was no object. What would be your ideal film to make?
Would you do a Thriller?
Would you do a Science Fiction film?

I would like to do a sort of Period film like a `Sleepy Hollow` type of thing. Plenty of room to use atmospheric effects like smoke and rain.
Of course, you lot know that I like StarTrek and Stargate with the new version of Battlestar Galactica thrown in. Add a bit of `Robin of Sherwood` and `Arthur, King of the Brittains` from the 70`s then I may have a good choise!

So Spielburg and 20th Centry Fox (the best with a good tune!) have given you £20 million to make a film on any subject. The actors are doing it for free (that`s why I said £20 million!)
So what film would you make?
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

The film Memphis Belle would be my ideal film re-make but as it was originally written/planned...

The producers wanted to make it about the RAF but could not get the finance/backing in the UK..... (where have I heard that before?) :shock:

busy lining up a couple interviews with ex RAF chaps
1. a rear gunner Lancaster bombers
2. Squadron Leader who served on Spits and Typhoons...

you could not make up some of the stories they have told so far.....

also looking forward to the re-make of the Dambusters which is under way as we speak !!!
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
stingman

Post by stingman »

I like the old British War Films. They included some of the best actors in the world with very little special effects. Hearing that the Damnbusters is to be made is good. I shall be looking forward to that one. I know that this may not go down with older German people but a `Film` I also liked was `Das Boot!`, about a german submarine causeing havoc with the British Navy.
In a world of so called equal values for all with love and peace thrown in. Do people on here think it right to remake old war movies that glorifies one nation and breaks another one?

My personel view is that I don`t mind because every country has there Triumphs. We (British) have quite a few going back to Traffalga. Did you know that our government wanted to rename `Waterloo Station` :shock: in London, because they thought that it wasn`t good for Ango-french relations! and that was only a few years ago.
What I won`t talk about on this national board is America`s Independence in 1812 (was it that year?)!! If they remade that film, it wouldn`t really bother me.
What I don`t like however is the way Hollywood claims battle victorys for America when it was us Brits that actually did it! :cry: Quite a few films in fact have ended with America winning it alone when infact it was Us. But even these films are worth watching because the storys are good, but in fact they are a lie!!!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »

The American War of Independence was 1776, there was a war of 1812 when the British burnt down the White House. There is a good book "Past Imperfect - A History According to the Movies". Almost every historic film rewrites history to some degree, some films give a complete rewrite. I agree the British war films of the 50s and early 60s, in b/w often with John Mills starring, were well done with a lot of British understatement. The problem for amateurs making war films is the requirement for uniforms, weapons and military equipment. There have been some steriling attempts but they never quite work in my opinion.

Ned
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thank you Ned for the correct facts. On this war film topic, I think a good film would be about the relationship between a British Soldier and a German Soldier. Circumstanses could bring them together and in the end they could be basicly fighting for the same freedom. I think a similar film has been done on the IAC website in the library or download. Instead of having loads of tanks, you could just have flashes and explosions in the distance.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

yep you're on the same wavelength when commenting on British b/w war movies!!!....

I do not condone war but I think the strength of some of the roles played was 1st class... most of these 'stories' were actual events and real people that did some amazing things... maybe we could learn something from that !!!! .... history lesson over

On the entertainment side of things...... films/acting that spring to mind Richard Todd as Guy Gibson (The Dambusters) the closing scene is probably the best in any war movie ....and a crackin' John Mills in Ice Cold in Alex .. which hey....has very little in the way of guns and explosions...just a good script, the old suspense thingy and again some great acting .....

That's one of the most exciting things I love about coming to amateur movie making (quite late in life at that !!) ... with the gear we have at our disposal
our only limitation is our imagination... after seeing first hand what's available at local Video/Movie groups and the standard of films found on the likes of the IAC website, its great to be part of it !!

long may it continue...
Stephen

stingman

Post by stingman »

Stephen wrote:yep you're on the same wavelength when commenting on British b/w war movies!!!....

That's one of the most exciting things I love about coming to amateur movie making (quite late in life at that !!) ... with the gear we have at our disposal
our only limitation is our imagination... after seeing first hand what's available at local Video/Movie groups and the standard of films found on the likes of the IAC website, its great to be part of it !!

long may it continue...
Yes. I can agree with all of that. The old movies do seem to be the best when it comes to the British b/w war movies.

I joined this video lark 20 years ago but only in the last 2 1/2 years have I started to make `Proper` films and editing.
With all the gear at a resonable price (still expensive, but just affordable if you save!), it is getting easier to get started. With High Definition gradually coming out then it will get better and the quality! WOW. As you know, i`ve slowed down abit in my filmmaking, due to trying to save for a better video camera.
The quality IS getting better at club level with new people coming all the time. The age thing is still an issue but if we spread the word then this could change with younger people giving us new ideas and different ways on doing things. With powerfull editing software, times are looking rosie and the void between Amature and Professional is getting smaller!
With the IAC linking us all together it`s easier to communicate with each other and spread our ideas further (My line in the 75th IAC film, No-one nick it :) ).
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »

Ian thanks for mentioning "the age thing". With the internet age is not an issue, I have no idea how old the people who post here are and it doesn't matter. It is a problem with Festivals where the judges are likely to be in their 50s and on up. We have a young President of AMPS now and he is introducing three categories this year specifically aimed at young film makers, FanFilms, SciFi/Horror and Action/drama. These will be judged by a separate panel from the other categories. FanFilms is an interesting category that I had never heard of, apparently Lucas and Spielberg are happy for amateurs to make films based on their productions, even accepting that they use the music provided there is no money involved at any stage.

Clubs are a completely different problem and I don't think have much of a future, youmg film makers don't want to spend evening with people their parents, even grandparents age,

Ned
stingman

Post by stingman »

ned c wrote:Ian thanks for mentioning "the age thing". We have a young President of AMPS now and he is introducing three categories this year specifically aimed at young film makers, FanFilms, SciFi/Horror and Action/drama. These will be judged by a separate panel from the other categories. FanFilms is an interesting category that I had never heard of, apparently Lucas and Spielberg are happy for amateurs to make films based on their productions, even accepting that they use the music provided there is no money involved at any stage.

Clubs are a completely different problem and I don't think have much of a future, youmg film makers don't want to spend evening with people their parents, even grandparents age,

Ned
As, I think with most club, the average age is about 68. I`m not knocking this but we do need younger people, even my age at 40!
The Lucas and Spielberg thing is interesting. I live spoof films, they make me cry soo much sometimes. It`s good that they are turning a blind eye to the copyright thing. If it`s done in good taste and no money is involved then I also see no problem with it if they give a mention in the credits.
It`s true about the clubs. We`ve got to make it interesting! When i`m the youngest, I find that alot of the attention is on my films and it looks as through i`m bighead! I`m not but as you`ve heard, I try to inject new ideas and technicques into my films so there different to the norm (panning landscapes and standard cuts, Boring or what :roll:) But it is hard. The older you get (for most, especally here!) the more you get into routine and set in your ways.
To everyone. Be different and do a few experimental films. They do cause confusion and problems, but at least you have had fun doing it.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

The ageism within clubs is only a problem if you look at in the negative ....

I'm in the bottom three youngest in our club (51)
There is a huge age gap... me thinks teens to late 40's = nil will be found in most clubs...

Maybe this is because of the speed of technology... most members have come through the ranks and are really just starting to embrace technology within film making... youngins are born into it....

I deliberately stayed away from film making because I could not give it the time it deserved and did not like the quality of vhs video systems ... I stayed with 35mm photography instead...

Very powerful affordable home computers, DV tape and NLE have now certainly started the Home Movie Making ball rolling big time

I think you're gonna see a huge influx of people into this media... young and old...

The best part about the agism in the club, is the older person in the club has a lifetime's experience and usually with filmmaking playing a big part ...

The people I have met in the short time I've been with the club are very approachable, knowledgeable and above all..... willing to teach you new tricks.... that's the secret....

Young people can still be held in shock and awe at some of the work being produced by older people..

There are some great times ahead.... bring it on !!!!!

ooopppss sorry administrator... maybe this should be another thread......?
Stephen

stingman

Post by stingman »

I do agree with you. The older one`s DO teach us `standard` tricks. There are two in our club, who when they enter a comp, they normally win. They do a very good quality film and it`s really hard to beat BUT........ We don`t really learn anything from it. It is the `standard` stuff they do well, very well in fact. There films are always good in quality of filming and sound. They could quite easily win any competition they enter But.... Like I said, It won`t improve my films because there films are always the same. If you spent a day watching these films, you would be bored out of your head and you would know what`s coming next. With mine, you would see something new possibly and laugth untill you cry! But the quality may not be there, who knows, that`s why i`m upgrading my kit.
I`m not being horrible but older members are (how can I put this nicely........ I won`t mention it.) but new young members may have 30, 40, 50 years in the club. Our local Salvation Army Corps closed down because they wern`t getting new younger members to increase there numbers. The older one`s were dieing of old age and there was no one to replace them.
We have only one video club on The Island here. Even through the nearest one on the mainland is only 6 to 8 miles away, it would take about an hour and a half to get there, especally in the winter if it`s not windy!!!
I must stop rabbiting on... sorry.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker