The IAC NLE and General discussion groups

IAC General Discussions
tom hardwick

The IAC NLE and General discussion groups

Post by tom hardwick »

The thought is that we could abandon the IAC General and NLE email groups (the General is very little used anyway) and all meet up here instead. At least this way we'd all meet in the same place.

I've met people on the email groups who don't even know that Speak Out exists, and vice versa, so having one meeting place seems a good idea to me.

tom.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I was never too sure about closed groups, such as the NLE group. I think a long time ago I might have read the NLE MB - and even contributed illegally??

I think and agree that it would be a great idea to all end up on this MB, and have anyone who is legitimate sign up and register. I would love to read some of the posts made by editors. That way we might get more people involved, instead of days going by with no new posts.
Peter
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I absolutely agree with Tom and Peter, let's just have one group of correspondents, it's all to do with film making and we do need to talk more about the craft itself rather than bitch about how the IAC is run. Can someone act on this?
Dave Watterson

Mixing it!

Post by Dave Watterson »

When IAC's web presence began we started round-robin style email groups: one for general subjects and one for NLE issues since that was the new technology at the time.

The IAC Council decided to restrict those groups only to IAC members and required everyone to quote their membership number on every message. As webmaster at the time I argued against this. A compromise was reached where we could set up the "Speak Out!" forum that was - and is - open to all.

Naturally most writers on the forum are concerned with IAC but we enjoy input from some ex-members and from potential new members.

At least one of the experts on the NLE mail group takes the view that he wants to help only IAC members and will not take part in an open forum. I regret that, but it is his decision. For that reason the NLE group may survive longer.

The change in this forum is simply a practical issue sparked off by the need to change the computer on which it is held. There have been, so far as I know, no policy decisions about this forum or the email round-robin groups.

Dave the Pedantic
Willy

About Filmmaking

Post by Willy »

Michael Slowe wrote:I absolutely agree with Tom and Peter, let's just have one group of correspondents, it's all to do with film making and we do need to talk more about the craft itself rather than bitch about how the IAC is run. Can someone act on this?
About filmmaking. You're right, Michael. Here we are :
At this moment I'm a member of two clubs. The atmosphere is totally different. In club A the members are eager to be filmstars, but they are not interested in criticising and analysing films. In club B it's just the opposite. In club A we have some young filmmakers, but they don't seem to be very consistent. I am the chairman and I have done my utmost to spoil them, but alas they don't seem to appreciate it. For instance : I've lent my old casablanca to one of them. My club bought a surround-machine for an other one. I paid the BIAFF enties for a third one. One didn't even pay for his membership, but he apologized and he promised to come back. Sometimes I fear that the generation gap has become too wide. I have not given all hope, but it seems to me that the mentality has changed considerably. I really don't know what to do to encourage them more ...
Now the local heats have taken place in my region and I have started to do more camera work for my next project and to edit the middle part. I always work two or three years on a major project. In Belgium there are better filmmakers than I am, but viewers always expect that I make films of a certain quality. That's a disadvantage. In Belgium judges sometimes compare my newest film with the ones that I showed in the last ten years. One major film and the rest films without any ambition. Peraps that's the best starting point.

This year I have 7 BIAFF-films. Perhaps it is exaggerated, but I really don't want to have my name in the Guinness Book of Records. I just make films to know what judges may think about them. I've already told you a few times. Other forum friends do the same. For my major film some Geoff Harrison of the Preston Movie Makers has helped me quite a lot this time. I met him in Chesterfield last year. He offered me a new narrator. He asked 5 members of a Drama group to read a text for me. I had to make a choice. Wonderful, isn't it ? I'm very pleased with his friend's voice. Colin Howett's voice was also superb, but I think that after some time viewers need some change. Thanks to the IAC I have found a new British friend. Team work is essential to make a film and it gives a nice feeling to know that British enthusaists like Geoff want to contribute.
Willy Van der Linden
Peter Copestake

About film making

Post by Peter Copestake »

I would have thought that now this forum is classified by subject a combined forum would be good. (I haven't found the NLE one again yet!) Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake
stingman

Re: About film making

Post by stingman »

Peter Copestake wrote:I would have thought that now this forum is classified by subject a combined forum would be good. (I haven't found the NLE one again yet!) Peter Copestake
They could add another forum on this forum site but isn`t NLE part of filmmaking and this forum would cover that. I think that the people on the NLE email forum may be shy! (to put it nicely!). I`ve sometimes replyed on it but it seems to be a bit boring! This type of forum in this format is much better.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker