BIAFF 2020 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

BIAFF 2020 RESULTS

Post by Howard-Smith »

With the BIAFF results being sent out as from Monday, I thought I’d open this thread so that those of us who entered the competition can voice our thoughts and opinions when we’ve received our star ratings and judges’ comments.
I was a first round judge again this year. Thank goodness the judging took place before the Coronavirus crisis lockdown. There was a record number of entries; 288 films were judged in total, after two entries were withdrawn for not being of amateur status.
It is to be hoped that the rescheduling of the festival will be able to go ahead in October.
fraught

Re: BIAFF 2020 RESULTS

Post by fraught »

Morning Howard.
Wow... what a wonderful piece of news to wake up to this morning! My short film 'Dead Air' has bagged a DIAMOND! I'm bowled over!! I'm doing cartwheels in my house! I honestly didn't think it would get a Diamond, but SO pleased that it did. I feel like Admiral Ackbar when the Death Star blows up in Return of the Jedi. So so pleased. :D
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Congratulations Geoff! BRILLIANT!
fraught

Post by fraught »

Thanks Jill. :)
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Well done, indeed Geoff.
Looking forward to seeing all the results and whether I saw any other Diamonds!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
fraught

Post by fraught »

Cheers Tim. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone has done.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Congratulations Geoff on your Diamond award. Well done. I had 6 entries and the one I pinned most hopes on was my thriller GOOD GIRL. It’s been awarded 4 stars and the KPM prize. Another thriller, PIECES, was given 4 stars as well. My Woody Allen pastiche BLUE LADY got 3 stars as did BELIEF and THE TIFF. NOBODY ASKED, written by the woman who wrote my 4 star film LIKE A BULLET, got just 2 stars. Ouch!
I always aim high. I always hope for more than 4 stars. Having had three 5 star awards in the past, I just feel from the star ratings over the past 2 years that I’m underachieving.
During these long months of self isolation I’ll try to work out what more I should be doing regarding future films to give myself any chance of attaining my ultimate goal of a Diamond Award. I may never get there but I can die trying! (Hopefully not of the Coronavirus.)
Martin Evans

Post by Martin Evans »

That's a very positive outlook Howard. And one that deserves to see you succeed.

No results received here yet. :|
fraught

Post by fraught »

You did well Howard. You're very talented! That Diamond is definitely in you!
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Thanks guys
🙂
fraught

Post by fraught »

Just found out that the short film I directed 'Treble Clef' grabbed itself a 5 Star Award. Very happy with that. :)
Willy

Post by Willy »

Congratulations, Howard and Geoff! I have received 5 stars for "HR Highland Laddie". I am very happy with it. Also with the judges' comments. The length of my documentary is 14 minutes and they think that I could have shortened it with 5 minutes. That's a surprise. But I agree with it more or less. They are right. Now I would make it a bit shorter. But also a bit longer. The scene with Lora McDonald for instance. I am happy with my 7th "come back". 7 years ago I was in a coma for one week and I crept through the eye of a needle. Now I am still alive and the 5 stars are encouraging.

I have also received a message from SAM (Scottish Association of Movie Makers). 20 years ago I won the Pilgrim Trust top award: the Silver Rose Bowl and a quaich. My film was called : "Highland Road", a documentary about wildlife in Scotland. Today, exactly 20 years later, I won it with my film "HR Highland Laddie", a film about Bonnie Prince Charlie". The "ceremony" would have taken place some days ago, but it was cancelled because of the corona virus crisis. We are all vulnerable people, aren't we? Most of us are in their sixties, seventies or eighties.
Willy Van der Linden
Martin Evans

Post by Martin Evans »

My haul of stars from this year's competition was really rather disappointing. And I wanted to spend this evening ranting about how the judges just don't get it. How they misunderstood what I was trying to do. And how the injustice of it all meant I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.

But I can't. At all. Of the five films I entered, I didn't have one single quibble with any of the comments or criticisms. They were balanced, intelligent and, most of all, spot on. I promise to learn from them, up my game, and come back next year with a whole different set of faults.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I've just broken a World Record! I bet that I'm the only multiple Diamond winner ever to have gained a One Star! I also got a Two and a Three so I'm definitely out of favour. I thought that they shot them, I'd better be careful. I'm growing old but next year I'll be younger as I'm reversing the numbers in my age. Well done Fraught, looking forward to seeing it.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Sorry about your low ratings Michael. I’ve no doubt you’ll bounce back and your ratings will hopefully rise again in the future back to your former glory.
Not many people have fed back on here considering there was a record number of entries. Where is everybody?