BIAFF 2018 AT HARROGATE

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

BIAFF 2018 AT HARROGATE

Post by Howard-Smith »

The attendance numbers were down but, with regard to those of us who were present for BIAFF in Harrogate, what are our thoughts on the event?
I’ll make my own comments on individual films in a later message but for now I’ll say that it was as ever an extremely enjoyable event, really well organised, with great company, excellent meals and the usual mixture of films which were by turn brilliant, perplexing, inventive, irritating, exciting, incomprehensible... and so on.
Anyway, in my diary BIAFF is THE event of the year and I’m excited already about BIAFF 2019 taking place in Birmingham with the Sunday show taking place at the Crescent Theatre.
Michael Slowe

Re: BIAFF 2018 AT HARROGATE

Post by Michael Slowe »

Brilliant BIAFF, and all the points praised by Howard I agree with.

As to the films, very mixed but generally pretty good I thought. The winner was not my choice, I would have had either the Romanian one, "CUIB" or "Annie Waits". My most enjoyable choice would be our two robbers, "Tim & Tom", delicious comedy! I highly rated"Criteria" and "Significant Witness", although, by necessity, rather static. We all have our own opinions, there can be no standard ratings because, as we often say, film viewing and judging is so subjective. I would say though that, generally, as in most years, the star ratings are pretty much as I would have judged, with only a very small number of the ones I saw, that I didn't agree with.

Nice to see you all (or at least most of you!).
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Howard-Smith wrote:...the usual mixture of films which were by turn brilliant, perplexing, inventive, irritating, exciting, incomprehensible... and so on.
That's part of the excitement of BIAFF - one never knows what is coming next because the nature of our work is that we can often make the films we want to make, not to fit into any particular pigeon-hole.

I always enjoy the Young Filmmakers' show on the Saturdays as the films appear unafraid of tackling any subject or trying any new technique. This year was no exception and I thought the cinematic standard, especially regarding editing and sound, was by and large faultless.

It was great to catch up with old friends and make some new ones too!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

John Roberts wrote:the nature of our work is that we can often make the films we want to make, not to fit into any particular pigeon-hole.
One of the privileges of being an amateur, as someone said the the CEMRIAC Spring Festival :lol:
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

TimStannard wrote:One of the privileges of being an amateur, as someone said the the CEMRIAC Spring Festival :lol:
Wise words worth repeating :lol:
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I agree with all your choices, Michael, with one exception. I know I'm in the minority, but Significant Witness really didn't do it for me (although I thought the young girl's performance was stellar and that the story itself was sound). I could elaborate but it's only my opinion and I'm no Barry Norman!
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Damned unanimity!
It was a great weekend, well organised and run - thanks to everyone who worked behind the scenes.

Thanks, Michael, for brightening up lunchtime Saturday with a glass of bubbly for us forum regulars. (I kept wondering how we could have had a second tier of drinks - dry white win perhaps - for our lurkers ... who visit and read but do not make comments.)

I need more time and much more sleep to review my own favourite films of the sessions I saw.

Just to avoid confusion for people who were not there, the film CUIB (The Nest) was about a family in Romania, but it was a British film by Alan Robinson, whose work on camera has featured in films by Terry Tkachuk.
Martin Evans

Post by Martin Evans »

I write as a first timer at BIAFF with a brand new login...

We travelled six hours by train from Aberystwyth but the weekend was worth every sweaty sardine-jammed minute of the journey. We had a fantastic time. Saw some wonderfully, quirky, enlightening, entertaining and downright funny films. Thought the organisation was brilliant, the set-up excellent and we met some completely lovely IAC members and it felt like we were among friends. Thanks to you all for being so welcoming. We look forward to seeing you all in Brum next year.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

The three films that I appreciated the most were:

SMILE - An impeccably made Geoff Harmer drama.
TIM & TOM - A great, brisk, funny German comedy.
ANNIE WAITS - Pacy, charming, clever. Loved it. I personally would have chosen this as best film.

I was involved with the judging of SIGNIFICANT WITNESS and remember being engrossed by it on first viewing, and being utterly impressed by the brilliant performance of young Leah Nicholson. The script is cleverly paced to reveal further information and twists at just the right times... and I loved the final flashback sting-in-the-tale. If I had to make any minor criticism after this further viewing it would be that the girl's female solicitor was too quiet in the second half of the film - I imagine that in real life she would have been giving the girl more guidance.

Tim Stannard's MIRACLE ON THE MANTLEPIECE is really wonderful stuff; a great piece of work.

There was much else to admire, in particular the work of the Young Filmmakers.

But...

PEEPHOLE - 5 stars? I can't work out why.
BRAINWASH - Best Story? Eh? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
PULSE - Technically very, very clever, being filmed in one take. However, I'm afraid I just didn't comprehend the scenario.

Anyway, there you go. BIAFF in my book stands for Brilliant Incredible And Fantastic Films.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard-Smith wrote: PULSE - Technically very, very clever, being filmed in one take. However, I'm afraid I just didn't comprehend the scenario.
I had the benefit of speaking with the writer/director afterwards and there are two things that make this much clearer:

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_n ... b_shooting (Pulse nightclub massacre)
2: The guy with the gun at the end is NOT either of the guys we see earlier (the fact this is not obvious is apparently deliberate, though it caused me confusion)

(PS Thanks for your kind words about "Miracle".)
Tim
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Tim, thank you, that link helps greatly in shedding light on the whole matter.

Rather typical of the Americans to think that we would automatically link the title of the film with the events depicted, in their minds they are the centre of the universe (sorry Ned if you read this!). However, the success of a film should not depend on obscure prior knowledge, it should stand on its own. We understand the theme pretty well from the start but it it is a trifle muddled. Having said that it is good and wonderfully shot. That single take reminds me of a long opening shot of similar length in Michael Apted's film about film making, I forget the title but doubtless one of you will remind me. Also, the Russian doc on The Hermitage, running for about fifteen minutes, is all one take. Quite unnecessary in that instance, more of a gimmick there I fancy.
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Welcome to Martin! It was really nice to meet you and Kerry. Good that you've found the IAC and that you enjoyed your first BIAFF. Congratulations on getting a 4 star and a 3 star award with your first entries. I've just watched them online. I loved the THE POLE LINER! It had me laughing out loud.

Michael, thank you for your sparkling party on Saturday! A real treat.

I don't think the film PULSE was made by Americans - but like others I had no idea how the ending fitted into the rest of the film. Tim, thanks for your explanation. I was very puzzled by the film - and I saw it twice, first time at the excellent Young Filmmakers' show. I was intrigued. So it is satisfying to understand about the assassin and the reference to the massacre.

The other film that I had trouble understanding was BRAINWASH.

I thought it was one of the most enjoyable BIAFFs I've been to. Brilliantly organised. Lots of really good films. Great company.

As well as the films that have already been mentioned, I very much enjoyed both of Howard's films - especially ALEX(A), and I enjoyed BEER PRESSURE.
Michael Gough

Post by Michael Gough »

Hi,
Regarding Pulse, like many I was stunned by the choreography of action and movement covered in a single shot. It was fascinating hearing how much rehearsal it needed and how many actual takes. I understood the basic premise of a man coming to terms with his sexuality but was unsure of the symbolism of his numerous costume changes. It all became clearer when it was pointed out to me that "Pulse" was the name of a club where a homophobic massacre actually took place. I also finally recognised that the hooded man at the end was not the hero of the story but the character in the credits called "Homophobic man".
So we are left with a debate about how clear should a story be to satisfy our enjoyment. Personally I love something to think about. I prefer the complexity of "Morse" to the simplicity of "Midsummer Murders". Luckily BIAFF always guarantees the perfect mix. Love or hate various entries but continue to be enjoy the creativity and skill which is the foundation of all the wonderful chat at Harrogate and on the Forum.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Michael Gough wrote:...the simplicity of "Midsummer Murders"
Midsummer Murders is simple...? :shock: :shock: :shock:

:wink:
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

John Roberts wrote:
Michael Gough wrote:...the simplicity of "Midsummer Murders"
Midsummer Murders is simple...? :shock: :shock: :shock: