BIAFF 2018 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

BIAFF 2018 RESULTS

Post by Howard-Smith »

The results are being sent out from today and I've already received mine.
How's everybody got on this year? What do you think of the results? Are the judges' comments fair? I hope so. As one of the first-round judges again this year I know that the judges do their level best to be objective and fair, and give balanced and constructive comments.
I personally am delighted to receive my third 5-star award for my psychological thriller called IT'S NOT ME. It will be shown as part of Sunday's Premiere Show.
Also two 4-star awards for ALEX(A) and HOLLIE which will be shown on the Saturday.
Disappointingly my thriller LOOSE CANNON was only awarded 3 stars, and it won't be shown, but you can't win 'em all.
I'd also submitted a fifth entry, a 1989 film made on Super-8 entitled A SINNER ALSO. The award is 2 stars. I shouldn't really have sent this in, with hindsight, as things have moved on so much since those Super-8 days.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing many of you at the event and to seeing what people have done to achieve those Diamond Awards this year.
Cheers, Howard-Smith
Cathy Poole

Re: BIAFF 2018 RESULTS

Post by Cathy Poole »

I am more interested to discover why you are always
the first to know your results of this competition.

Do you have a secret way of finding out before everyone else?

Cathy Poole.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

No, Cathy Poole, I most certainly don't have a 'secret way of finding out' before everyone else'. At the judging sessions everyone is sworn to secrecy and I had no idea how my films had fared until I received my email from David Newman this morning.
David does a tremendous job co-ordinating and arranging the whole enterprise but he can't physically email EVERYONE'S judgements out all at once. I just happened to be one of a number of people receiving the judgements this morning.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I'm intrigued too. They can't be sent out alphabetically or you'd be nearly as far down the list as me. Congrats on the five star and two four stars. See you at CEMRIAC Spring Festival?
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Yes I'll be there at the CEMRIAC Spring Movie Festival on 25th March, Tim. See you there! I believe you have the honour of being judge this year.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I do not know the answer ... but possibly the notices of results go out in numerical order ... first film entered gets first set of results,
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote:I do not know the answer ... but possibly the notices of results go out in numerical order ... first film entered gets first set of results,
Or the person who enters the most films gets their results first :D
Tim
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard-Smith wrote:Yes I'll be there at the CEMRIAC Spring Movie Festival on 25th March, Tim. See you there! I believe you have the honour of being judge this year.
Indeed. The honour of being told I’m wrong by 15 of the 16 entrants :shock:
Tim
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

I too received my results yesterday, but didn't manage to get online. Maybe Howard is just quicker at typing than everyone else :D I also echo the comment regarding the amount of work David Newman puts into the competition, made even more complex and time consuming by the inclusion of laurels this year!

However, congratulations to Howard for the 5-stars for 'It's Not Me' and I look forward, as always, to watching the film at the award winner's show.

My single entry this year - 'Cowpuccino' - also managed to scoop a 5-star award as well as the KPM prize, and will be shown on the Sunday too.

See you, Tim and Howard, at CEMRIAC in March :D
fraught

Post by fraught »

Morning all, good to see the number of 5 Stars is up. :) I also got a 5 Star this year with my short film 'Smile' and will be screened on the Sunday. I was chuffed to bits with the Judges comments, some of the best i've had!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Just to continue the love-in, five stars and a Sunday screening here as well (and The Focus Prize) for "Miracle on the Mantlepiece" :D

Lesson learned though - never assume everyone is familiar with Hans Christian Andersen tales as at least one of the judges clearly wasn't (or didn't make the connection)
Tim
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Congratulations Tim and Geoff (Fraught) on your 5 star awards!
The Diamond still eludes me but I’ll keep trying for it for as long as I’m capable of making films! Being an old-age pensioner now, I don’t know how many more years I’ve got left...
fraught

Post by fraught »

Cheers Howard.

Fingers crossed i make it this year!
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

You’ve already had a Diamond, Fraught!
‘Selfie’ was a great little thriller.
fraught

Post by fraught »

True! And thanks! :-)

Still looking to win Best British Film one day! That would be amazing. :)