Creative Soundscape Videos

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
John Roberts

Creative Soundscape Videos

Post by John Roberts »

Hello to everyone.

In 2012 I produced a series of tutorial videos for an evening's talk at my club on the subject of creating better soundscapes. I started the series in the middle 1990's, covering both recording and editing in one evening, but later talks were split into two separate evenings covering each aspect individually. Below are the videos covering basic recording techniques and there are 5 in all: an Introduction, Microphone Directivity, Microphone Accessories, Practical Recording Techniques and Hand-Held Sound Recorders. I presented the evening at mine and other clubs in the area, and although the videos are part of a Q&A evening where I would expand on subjects raised in each video and answer any technical or creative queries, I think they stand up fairly well on their own.

I have uploaded them to YouTube in case anyone else would like to watch them, hopefully they will come across as informative if not entertaining. Please feel free to use these at your club or for reference, or if anyone would like me to pop along to their club to present the evening with the videos and bring along a few gadgets to look at and have a play with, then please message me :D

The links to the videos are below, along with a link to the YouTube playlist containing the set of 5:

INTRO

MICROPHONE DIRECTIVITY
[youtube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SxApAsE3lM[/youtube2]
MICROPHONE ACCESSORIES

PRACTICAL RECORDING TIPS

HANDHELD SOUND RECORDERS
TimStannard

Re: Creative Soundscape Videos

Post by TimStannard »

This looks like a fantastic resource, John. Yes, there are plenty of other videos out there, but something directed at the range of club members (and dare I say age of them), coming from a known and respected member is worth its weight in gold (...erm, I just realised that a digital video has no weight, but you know what I mean).

I'm sure many will take you up on your offer. I guess Staines is a bit far - especially as you'll get a maximum of 9 people at present.

Many thanks for posting. I'm sure I'l learn something.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks a LOT John. I know I will enjoy watching and learning from your videos. Sadly our local club was closed a couple of years ago so an invitation can't be extended to visit.

Thanks again.

Pete.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

OK, I tweaked your post, John. The trouble is changing YouTube formats.

a) go to the YouTube video and play it.
b) While it plays copy the full URL such as "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEnwCBL ... e=youtu.be"
c) on the forum post click the "youtube2" button at the top of the post which drops in [youtube2}[/youtube2]
d) put your cursor between those bracketed codes and paste the what you copied
e) Click the preview button beneath your post and hope !
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

GREAT VIDEOS and very helpful so they deserve to be seen as easily as possible.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Thanks for sorting that out for me, Dave. Hopefully the videos will be of interest to some of our filmmaking colleagues :)
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks John; interesting and helpful. Very helpful; I have owned Zoom recorders for years but never thought of attaching one to a boom pole; a wonderful solution for that darned cable problem!! Also as a substitute for radio mics. Thanks again John; I look forward to the continuing series.
ned c
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Watched them all John, splendid job, well done! You demonstrate the weak point of radio mics with the range problem, but I have to say that if there are no obstructions, their range can be well beyond what you would be wanting to film over.

I had no problem viewing all five of the videos just by clicking on the link provided, was this after Dave re jigged things, I think not?
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Just finished watching them, John (something t do whilst ironing a green screen). A great resource! This is the perfect pace for a typical club members or a newbie. Possibly not snappy and glitzy enough for the millennials, but most of what I've seen aimed at them is so fast there's little doubt some must pass them by (Film Riot is a fantastic resource, but I often find I have to watch parts several times if I want to learn something). Your practical examples really helped drive the message home.

Would you mind if i posted links to these on a video making forum I help moderate?
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Thanks everyone :D

Tim: No problem at all! Always glad to help :D