Amateur photographer film competition

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
tom hardwick

Amateur photographer film competition

Post by tom hardwick »

This from the AP site:

We’re pleased to announce the latest round of our Amateur Filmmaker of the Year (AFOY) competition for 2017!

AFOY challenges you to get creative with your filmmaking, and gives you the opportunity to win some fantastic prizes worth more than £13,000 in total. The competition is split into three rounds, each with its own theme: Travel, Environment and People. To enter, submit a video no more than five minutes in length, of HD quality. You can shoot on any camera, and the content and editing are up to you – so long as it fits the round’s theme (see below).

Visit www.thevideomode.com to view the top videos, as well as the scores and a leaderboard for the overall competition. The winner will be the entrant with most points after three rounds, who will win the overall prize and the title Amateur Filmmaker of the Year 2017.

Round Three (People) opens on 1 January 2017 – when entering make sure you fulfil the brief.

Read more at http://www.thevideomode.com/competition ... 0do8ZOm.99
TimStannard

Re: Amateur photographer film competition

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks for posting this Tom.
It's interesting in that the themes clearly favour the documentary film maker. Rather unusual and to be applauded. The likes of Michaels's Slowe and Gough finally have a competition outside of BIAFF that they might consider entering!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

And now we have a definition of an amateur - earns less than 10% of income or max GBP 5,000 pa.

ned c
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

ned c wrote:And now we have a definition of an amateur - earns less than 10% of income or max GBP 5,000 pa.

ned c
Which I would've thought was certainly not the definition of a non-commercial filmmaker :lol:

An interesting definition though, and one that might be adopted in certain circles to raise the perceived value of the word 'amateur' :)
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

No Tim. Neither I, nor I suspect Michael Gough, would want to make a documentary five minutes in length. A fun pastiche maybe but to actually 'get into' a subject or a personality, you need more time. I know I get criticised for the length of my films, maybe with some justification, but, as an 'amateur' I can make the films that I want to make. Shown individually they work, in a programme of a few others there are problems. I have even been asked by a TV channel to extend one of my documentaries, I suspect however that might have been more connected to the arrangements for commercial breaks rather than with the quality of the film!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Ooops. I hadn't spotted the 5 min length restriction.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it