CONNECTING CABLE

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Lee Prescott

CONNECTING CABLE

Post by Lee Prescott »

Lo All,

A quick response would be much appreciated:-

Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain a connecting cable with a firewire plug at one end and either
a USB plug or an HDMI plug at the other? Or are they incompatible?

This info. is needed for a friend who thinks he might have been misled @ Maplins Branch.

Lee.
John Roberts

Re: CONNECTING CABLE

Post by John Roberts »

Firewire 1394 4-pin or 6-pin to USB cables and adaptors are certainly available, but whether the two devices connected by the cable are compatible and able to 'talk to each other' is an entirely different matter! I believe a few Firewire enabled camcorders can be set to output data in a format that can be received using correct USB protocols, but that's where my knowledge ends, sorry Lee!
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

Hi John,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

LEE: :D
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

This topic was much discussed around 2012 on various forums. The consensus then was that such cables sometimes worked ... but it seemed to depend on the software you had. A more reliable route was reckoned to be to use a converter box like Pinnacle Dazzle at around £55. These still seem to be available and you do not need to use Pinacle software for the subsequent edit.
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply also. I'll pass on the information you give. Again much appreciated.

It's for Clive,( :? ) you might remember him - he's got a new camera which seems to be causing him problems.
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

On a similar thread, has anyone here discovered that XLR microphone plugs and connectors are not all the same?
I tried one of our new Sony cameras on Saturday and a Sennheiser microphone plugged into either of the XLR input sockets was not working.
I tried a Sony mic, supplied with our old Z5 camcorder, and this too indicated a completely non existent signal.
I was beginning to think the new camera was faulty, but it was on both input 1 and input 2 which seemed odd. Then trying a Sennheiser radio mic, hey presto, a clear signal on both connectors.

Looking down at the pins in the XLR plug, the only visible difference seems to be that the plug that works has slightly fatter pins. Sony might say that you need to use their own microphones BUT as mentioned, one of the mics IS a Sony one! There are cables and connectors on the internet / Amazon etc but without trying them, how do you know which will connect? My idea it to buy two male-female connectors to plug into the camera and then either microphone.
Has anyone else had this problem?