BIAFF 2016 - WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR RESULTS?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

Re: BIAFF 2016 - WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR RESULTS?

Post by Howard-Smith »

Ned Cordery is one of the team that made a one star film entitled I NEED A VACATION. I've just watched it on Vimeo.
I don't much care for the zoom shots, but... ONE STAR for this? Really?!
Congratulations to all the high award winners!
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

To Cathy Poole
You mentioned on this forum (second message) that you were waiting for your results. What film(s) did you enter?
Cathy Poole

Post by Cathy Poole »

If you're really interested,

I helped on the production of a film which was awarded 4 stars.

FIDDLER'S WALK
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI-pQzXCf5E[/youtube]

Let me know what you think, but don't be too shocked.

I'd love to know how many stars you would have given it.

Cathy Poole
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

This is Huey Walker's revenge about getting one star for a film last year.
Cathy, I'm not going to comment about what star rating I would have given it as I was one of the judges responsible for Huey's one star rating.
Last edited by Howard-Smith on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard-Smith wrote: I NEED A VACATION. ... ONE STAR for this? Really?!
That's rather what I thought. Doesn't quite fit with the description of the criteria for a one star.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

FIDDLERS WALK - I'd have docked it a star for using not one, but two photos of chimpanzees when making a visual pun about a monkey. Chimps are apes as any fule kno. (I hope you weren't the simian researcher on this project Cathy)
Tim
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks for the comments on my Vimeo site. However I do realise there is a certain cachet to making a one star film after almost 50 years of film making and thanks to the "Fiddler's Walk" team I am in excellent company; or at least with their previous film which I have not seen (is there a link?). I also take comfort in being in the company of David Lean where "Ryan's Daughter" was panned by the New York critics circle and he didn't make another film for fourteen years. Fortunately at my age I cannot go off in a huff for a fourteen year sabatical. However; judging is a thankless task so no ill-will. (Any of you having entries for AMPS?)

ned c
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Ned, life is full of surprises, good and bad, it would be boring otherwise.

Yes, I did have something in AMPS didn't I? It got something but I'm not quite sure what because it all seemed quite confusing. When are you next over here, it's been a while since we saw you?
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Michael, I think we both managed joint '2nd runner-up' at AMPS 2015, so is that a joint 3rd place?

Ned, it would be great to catch up - did I read somewhere that you wouldn't be able to make it to BIAFF this year? :(
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Plan your BIAFF ... the timetables are now online at

http://www.theiac.org.uk/eventsnew/biaf ... how01.html

Work out which mini-cinema to aim for ... and check out what you can see ...

Cathy Poole

Post by Cathy Poole »

Talk about nit-picking.

Why are you so pedantic about 'Fiddler's Walk' Tim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI-pQzX ... detailpage

In my humble opinion, it's a brilliant, and funny look at the world of judges, film judging,
film competitions, and corruption in general.

Haven't you realised that we at 'Exeter Films' http://www.exeterfilms.com usually place small
deliberate mistakes in some of our films. It's just to make sure you're paying attention,
and that you are actually awake when you see our films.

Try watching 'WHAT TYPE ARE YOU?' https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... KiXF55hdYs

or 'DO I MEASURE UP?' https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... k4MZLYzIrk

How long will it take you Tim, to find the 'deliberate' mistakes in these two films above?
Please let us know, or better still, just enjoy these films for what they are.

It's quite obvious, that all you want to do Tim is find fault in other people's work.

There's one thing I will predict, and that is when you come to see the films next year at BIAFF in 2017,
you'll find many film-makers aping the content and monkeying around with style of 'Fiddler's Walk.'

Wait and see.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I do wish all of you at Exeter Films would stop making personal comments about people.

There is fun - and fair comment - and insult.

Those people who judge for BIAFF give up a great deal of time, pay their own travel costs and work hard. Of course you may disagree with the assessments. But do not assume malice.

No one, least of all a film judge, thinks themselves perfect. But nor are we corrupt. We do our best to put aside our personal prejudices and assess what we see and hear. We do not try to offend film makers. Yes, we get it wrong from time to time. Some of the results this year surprised me: some marked lower than I would have done, others marked higher. But that is the nature of any competition in the arts.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Tim's comment shouldn't be taken seriously, Cathy. It was definitely said with tongue in cheek.
Just as a general comment, the BIAFF judges have a duty to look for both strengths and weaknesses in all the films they see. Even my 5 star film this year had quite a few criticisms from the judges as well as praise, and I expect even some of the Diamond award winners don't receive 100% positive reviews.
I also echo Dave's comment that there is absolutely no corruption in the judging system and that all the judges are as fair and objective as they can be. I know this having worked closely with them for the past two years as a first round judge.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Howard-Smith wrote:Tim's comment shouldn't be taken seriously, Cathy. It was definitely said with tongue in cheek.
Indeed, Cathy, it was intended to ape the judging comments that you lampoon in Fiddlers Walk. To be fair, I'm not sure if your last post was serious or you were continuing the gag.
Tim
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Hey Cathy, I've now looked at Fiddler's Walk and can write what I assure you is an unbiased and honest comment, based on forty five years of film making and attendance at film festivals, both amateur and professional

Had I been a judge I would have awarded it Two Stars, merely because a One Star is meant to represent a standard where the film maker knows little about the art. Clearly, those at Exeter know quite a bit about the art of film making but chose merely to have a little fun, and that's fair enough for a non commercial enterprise but it's not good enough if they want to represent their work as a work of art. I know that Tracy Emin manages to gain awards in the art world but she is a rare individual who manages to buck accepted norms. Fiddler's Walk is a messy and disjointed piece, clearly made to cause controversy, especially the epilogue. Nothing wrong with controversy, Michael Moore courts that in every film he makes (very, very lucratively), but he does it in an accomplished manner.

But Cathy, the film is fun, the makers enjoyed making it I'm sure, and audiences at BIAFF will laugh, One Star to Diamond, what does it really matter, I've been there, bottom to top and back again, lighten up everybody, (as the youngsters say).