BIAFF 2016 - who's entering?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

Re: BIAFF 2016 - who's entering?

Post by Dave Watterson »

Da iawn !
Willy

Post by Willy »

"Sons of the River Nete"
Unfortunately I won't have a film for BIAFF 2016. For the first time since 1999. I feel ok, you know. With my ups and downs. I have a film in the pipeline, but I feel that the pipeline is too long. I started to make a dramatized documentary about a young man with a black beard.He would like to join a male choir. It's called "From Bach to The Beatles". Orginally one of the four main characters was the President of the "Netezonen". "Netezonen" is the name of the choir. It means somethibg like "Sons of the River Nete".

My old friend Richard
The President is my old friend Richard. Together with his younger brother I went out very often when we were "old teenagers". We had a lot of fun. Richard looked a bit like Sir Cliff Richard. He had the same haircut and same face. He had quite a lot of success with girls. Pretty ones. After about 45 years I could find him back. On internet. I found out that he is the popular president of that choir. It has about 50 singers of all ages. At this moment I have finished about 75% of the film, but tonight there is a Christmas concert. I need it for the "finale" of my documentary. Alas, some weeks ago Richard told me that he has cancer. A severe one. I could not believe my ears. And what I feared that happened. His lost his hair. Chemotherapy... He also has a "moonface". Cortisone...

Good looks
Richard has always been proud of his appearance. Still now at the age of 70. Therefore I had a chat with his brother. After that I changed my scenario. I could have made a film like Bernard Hausberger's. Our Austrian friend told us in a film about his fatal lung cancer. But Richard is different. Therefore I decided to change my scenario. Richard is not a main character anymore. You can see him only in the beginning of my story. Now there will be only two main characters: the young singer with black beard and the older choirmaster with white beard.

Julien
Actually I have not been very successful with my cast the last few years. Maybe you already know that the little man in my film "Mon Petit Bonhomme" (5 stars at BIAFF) died some months ago. Lung cancer.

Too long, not good
Another problem. I am almost sure that I won't have finished "From Bach to the Beatles" by the end of January, the second BIAFF deadline. I still have to do some camera work and my film has already got a length of 14 minutes. It means that the final version will have a length of about 20 minutes which is too long for festivals and competitions. Therefore I am going to make two instead of one. I look forward to the première of the long one. I am sure that the "Sons of the River Nete" and their wives and friends will enjoy it. The shorter one, perhaps "only" 10 to 20 minutes will be alright for BIAFF and other festivals. But it will take some time to finish everything.

Don't forget that my mother tongue is Dutch. It means that I am obliged to subtitle my "From Bach to The Beatles" into English. Luckily I have a notable friend and native speaker who is always willing to correct my mistakes. My first films in 1999, "Highland Road" and "Land of Hope and Glory" were not subtitled, but I am sure that the BIAFF-judges of today would not accept it anymore. The BIAFF-rules have changed and I find it normal.

My contribution
However, I have already contributed to BIAFF2016 in a different way. I have translated some films by Belgian friends. So maybe you will see Belgian films in Harrogate again. I hope my friends will also be there.

"Hopping Around the Weald"
Next year I will cross the Channel about 4 or 5 times. In the first place to do some more camera work for my film about Kent. It's called "Hopping Around the Weald". I still have to go to the "Garden of England" to shoot lambing in springtime and harvesting in autumn. For the acting scenes I am helped by some fantastic souls that are members of the Haywards Heath Movie Makers. It will be an Anglo-Belgium film again.

It's a long way from Tipperary
Kent is not far from me. About 300 kilometres. Harrogate, however, is about 1,000 kilometres from my house. I have already attended BIAFF twice at Harrogate. A very good hotel I remember. Harrogate is also the "Gate to the Yorkshire Dales". It is one of my favourite areas of outstanding beauty in England. But, alas, it has become too far now. My apologies for saying this.

Half a year ago I went to Devon by car. I did it in three stages: Biddenden (Kent), Bournemouth, Okehampton (Devon). I enjoyed it, but it was also very hard sometimes. On the motorways I could see signs with "Traffic may kill. Take a Break!". So I did many times. Really, I don't like long trips by car anymore and I am still afraid of flying. I am difficult. That's why I hope that you understand why I will be absent at Harrogate. I will miss BIAFF. Be sure of that. And I will also miss you.
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Well Willy, you may not like long films but you certainly do long posts!

I am 'winding you up' as we say in England, it's great to hear all your news. I think the traffic sign that you mention reads "tiredness kills", not traffic, but I may be wrong. I too find it difficult to make a short documentary, although I don't agree that long films are not for BIAFF. Three of my top award films ran for between 22 and 40 minutes. But I think that you are right that audiences don't like them when included in a programme with other films, that's a big problem as far as festivals are concerned. In the old film days, when there was a high cost of film and labs and difficult sync sound, short films were the norm. Modern video makes the technical stuff so much easier but also encourages us to be less disciplined, at least that's what I find.

We'll miss you Willy, remember one year, I think it was in Harrogate, Dave asked me to film you making a speech, in English of course! Good luck with completing your films, as we get older it does become harder don't you think?
Willy

Post by Willy »

Hi Michael. Yes, you are right. It must be something like "Tiredness may kill", or "can kill". After about 80 miles I always want to have a drink at one of those very convenient filling stations on the mortorway. An English cup of tea of course. Or a sweet smelling costa coffee. Each time when I see the word "services" I am very happy. Once, in the eighties, I drove from Dover to Torquay (Devon) during the night without any pitstop. On the "coastal road": Folkestone, Hastings, Brighton, Bournemouth, etc...

Royal Tunbridge Wells
My speech... Yes, that was in Royal Tunbridge Wells, Michael. I am very grateful to you that your were willing to film it. In HD! Now I can see the difference after 8 years. My hair has turned grey, even white. All IAC-friends were taken to a restaurant for the gala dinner and winners' show by coach. In the middle of the dining-room there was a screen. Everybody could read the subtitles. I also remember the fantastic one minute movie competition. Quarter final, semi final, final... It was great! And who would forget that unforgettable Bernard Hausberger? Dave's best friend who won the Daily Mail Trophy. Bernard had tears in his eyes when he received that wonderful cup. A moving moment.

A schnapps and a ticket
Bernard offered me a schnapps at the bar of the hotel. A strong alcolic drink. I can still taste it each time when I think of it.
One moment I was watching films in one of the mini-cinemas at the hotel. Suddenly Bernard Hausberger entered that room. He showed me a picture that he had just taken with his camera. A traffic warden was standing behind my car. I was penalized! I had parked my car next to a double yellow line in front of the hotel. But not on the road surface. There were cars in front of mine. There were cars behind mine. But there was a ticket on my window screen only! Oh, such things happen everywhere. They make life more colourful. Otherwise it is too boring.

Bob and Mike and...
Long films! Yes, I also know your wonderful long documentaries very well, Michael. They are great! But now I find it a challenge to shorten my next film. I will have enough time to do this. In a relaxed way. I don't like "time trials" anymore. My longer film will be shown at a dinner party organized by the "Sons of the River Nete" (see my previous message). But I will also show a Bob Lorrimor, or a Mike Shaw, or a ... . A very short movie made by Bob, or Mike, or ...Friends that I first met at BIAFF in the course of all those years. A movie to guarantee a successful dinner party with film show.
Willy Van der Linden
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

Happy New Year.....to you all on the Forum....or at the Forum;

This will be the year of the New Computer.....there is of course nothing wrong with the old one .... except for the new FCPX editing software which will not function with it.

I have an entry ... it is already 'entered' ... Is it too long? Is it too short? Have I entered too early? Will it be watched before the Judge's have lunch or after their lunch? Will they understand the shot in which my thumb is in the frame.......?

Who knows......but one thing is sure:

It is "COMING SOON!"
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Six entries this time! A personal record. The four that have already gone in include a film in Russian with English subtitles - well I do try to be different. Film-making for me is a passion and a bit of escapism from the realities of life. See you in Harrogate! Howard
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

Howard...a kind of 'spread betting' .....

The problem with Six entries is the prospect of being offended half a dozen times in the Judge's reviews!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Howard has now been on the BIAFF judging team and knows both sides of the coin!
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Bob, while you have your eye on the forum (a funny thing happened on the way?), I should impart the bad news for you in that I have requested a seat adjacent to your good self at the Saturday dinner.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Michael Slowe wrote:Bob, while you have your eye on the forum (a funny thing happened on the way?), I should impart the bad news for you in that I have requested a seat adjacent to your good self at the Saturday dinner.
There's little chance of that, Michael. In understand he's taking both Maria and Paula!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

I don't want to disappoint you Tim....but Maria and Paula are one and the same Girl!

Meanwhile, I hope to be seated at the same table as Michael Slowe in Harrogate in the hope that some of his cinematic glister will enhance my modest entry.

Bob
A.K. Williams

Post by A.K. Williams »

Pleased to note everyone tingling with anticipation at BIAFF 2016, but thought it important to report my recent submissions experience.

I registered my entry on-line on 18th. Dec. last in order to take advantage of the savings available as I'm sure did many others of you out there.

I took the precaution of posting my entry 'Signed For' (Royal Mail) for delivery peace of mind, I remember from last years' experience that a receipt notification would be e-mailed to me eventually soon, but after a couple of weeks without such notification and after checking Royal Mail web 'tracking' service only to be informed (continuously) that '..we are progressing your package within our system..', I e-mailed David Newman in order to resolve the issue.

I had used the delivery address contained within the on-line application form which gave a P.O. Box no. (7638) which, apparently, has been discontinued, quite what it was doing there at all is still a mystery (to me at least) the actual address is contained within the paper entry form delivered with last years' FVM and does not contain a P.O. Box no.

I contacted Royal Mail Customer Service and was told that because the package did not contain a return address (the old scheme 'Recorded Delivery' did) then it would eventually be destroyed and so am now preparing a new delivery for despatch within the next few days.

Just thought y'all should know, in case you may have done the same thing.

Tony Williams.

p.s. 'spose Royal Mail destroying my films saves the judges a job!

Happy New Year by the way!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

So sorry this has happened Tony.

Jan and I are working to find out how that happened ... if anyone else has not had a receipt message from David Newman after a couple of weeks, please let him (competition@theiac.org.uk) and Jan (webmaster@theiac.org.uk) know.

Obviously it helps to have your return address on any package ... but why did you get outdated information?!!!!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote: Obviously it helps to have your return address on any package ... but why did you get outdated information?!!!!
As Tony says, it was on the on-line form. I too noticed two different addresses - both within the online application system. I must have got lucky with the one I chose as my entry has been acknowledged. Without generating a fake (or genuine) entry I'm afraid I cannot tell you where they appear, but Tony isn't imagining things.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
JanW
Site Admin

Post by JanW »

I seem to have lost a few brain cells over the holidays.
First, I left the old BIAFF competition address on a couple of pages on the IAC website. Apologies for this to Tony and anyone else confused / caught out and faced with the hassle of resending films.
Second the apology I put up last night went out under Dave's login. Much as I like to shift the blame for my mistakes, I thought I shouldn't leave it like that.
Jan