Premiere Elements 13/14

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Brian Saberton

Premiere Elements 13/14

Post by Brian Saberton »

If anyone is using Premiere Elements up to version 12 to capture video by firewire from Mini DV tape or HDV you should know that from version 13 Adobe have removed this feature. I upgraded to Elements 14 recently when I got a new computer and have just spent two hours trying to work out why the computer knew that the camera was connected but Elements resolutely refused to recognise the presence of the device. A look at the Adobe forum revealed the answer which belongs firmly in the category of you couldn't make it up! Why Adobe could be so stupid as to remove a long standing feature is baffling. I don't film in Mini DV any more but like most people I have a lot of existing tapes that I may wish to re-edit at some point. According to Adobe there is a work around: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elemen ... ments.html
but I can't get it to work on my system.
Brian Saberton
Dave Watterson

Re: Premiere Elements 13/14

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks for the warning, Brian. I hope other potential upgraders take note.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I was trying to capture edited movies from mini DV to make up a programme to burn to disc. I've since discovered that the current version of Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker (free download) retains the ability to capture mini dv or hdv via fire wire but unfortunately splits the clips up in the process and I couldn't get them back together again as they were filed out of sequence. However, movie maker is a good option if you only need to capture unedited material.

I finished up re-installing an older version of elements and now have my video successfully captured, but it's taken hours to figure out and resolve the problem which would not have been necessary if Adobe hadn't removed the fire wire download capability from the latest versions of elements. It's beyond me why Adobe did this but if they wanted to annoy, frustrate and infuriate their loyal customers I can verify that it's a very effective way of doing so.
Brian Saberton
ned c

Post by ned c »

It may be of interest but Vegas Studio 13 and Vegas Pro 13 both have DV and HDV capture from Firewire devices. Premiere are now only interested in subscriptions to their cloud based offerings. I imagine that Elements will become an increasingly basic program to force more people to the cloud.

ned c
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I might just say that the wonderful Media 100 still allows importation via firewire, their special offer at $99 might still be running.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

I just checked on my system and Sony's Movie Studio Platinum 12, which will run on Win7 onwards and is a giveaway at £25 for the entire production suite, also allows DV and HDV capture from Firewire.

Well worth looking at as a serious editing option :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Movie-Stud ... B008RVQMOW
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll certainly give them a look.
Brian Saberton
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I have been advising for years for anyone with DV tapes for the tapes to be captured to a hard disc whilst it is still possible.

I did this with all 75 tapes of mine five years ago,they are now all on a hard drive and backed up on another, I did this primarily whilst I still had a DV camcorder, now I have no DV camcorder nor tapes.

So take heed folks and capture those tapes
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Thank Heavens I read this piece. I was just about to upgrade (or should I say downgrade?) to Elements 14