BIAFF 2016 - who's entering?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
John Roberts

BIAFF 2016 - who's entering?

Post by John Roberts »

It's all quiet on here, so I assume my fellow filmmakers are frantically putting the finishing touches to their latest masterpieces in time for the early BIAFF 'early bird' entry date?

So... who's planning to enter something this year? :D
Dave Watterson

Re: BIAFF 2016 - who's entering?

Post by Dave Watterson »

I will not shock everyone by sending an entry - those who have suffered my films know why! I will just drop a hint.

The entry fees for BIAFF2016 are down! What's more if you plan carefully when you enter and the order in which you enter your films, the fees can be much lower than last year.

Just sayin'
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Oh my goodness, I suspect that the Big Scotsman has entered a film, we'd all better keep our heads down.

Yes John, I sent mine in to David Newman well over a month ago. Going on past form, the earlier one enters the worse one does!
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Michael Slowe wrote:Going on past form, the earlier one enters the worse one does!
On that basis I might be in with a chance of something - I haven't even started editing my entry yet! :lol:
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

With BIAFF there is no prolonged period of pre-selection. That happens in some festivals and results can indeed be a little wobbly at first until the pre-selection panels settle to their task.

For BIAFF one or two unusually long films may be sorted out - purely on the basis of their length - and sent to a panel before the main judging weekend. The vast majority are all viewed over one hectic weekend in mid-February. What might impact scores is which films are seen immediately after lunch!!!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Just the one from me this year. Fluffy light entertainment nonsense again, I'm afraid.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

We have entered an XDL Films film but unfortunately I don't have a personal movie for BIAFF this time. I've just recently completed an AV sequence of a cruise I did in July which combines some video material (shot on a Panasonic 920) and digital stills shot on a Canon G12, all presented in the 16 x 9 widescreen format and with a music track but no voice over. I won't go into how this "hybrid" all came about, but putting it together has been an interesting experiment and the few people who have seen it so far have said that they enjoyed it. The sequence isn't going anywhere near a competition as I only make the AV's for fun. I'm hoping that next year I'll manage to produce a "proper" film again!
Brian Saberton
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It might be interesting to see how such a hybrid production would do in the IAC Competition. IAC tries to cover both art forms but has its AV comp separately. We have seen several movies which are to a greater-or-lesser extent sequences of stills.

If it communicates and pleases people ... who cares how you made it?
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Not this year - still recoiling from the negative impact of a regional event!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Every competition is different ! And the one thing you can be sure of is that at BIAFF your film will not be judged at first round by anyone from your own region ...
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

I agree with Dave W, and although judging can have an element of subjectivity at any competition level, I would add that one is more likely to get a fairer assessment with multiple judges in the first round at BIAFF than a single judge at many other events.

Also there is accountability - for example I have no knowledge whatsoever of Pqtrick's negative experiences at his regional event, but I will see his BIAFF results, should he decide to enter. Judges might be more aware of this public scrutiny of their assessment and are more likely to give a fairer assessment. Of course, this isn't always the case and there are always exceptions but I believe overall BIAFF gives the fairest assessment of all :)
ned c

Post by ned c »

One entry from here this year and not a particularly special effort either. A quiet year.

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Happy to have a film from Utah, Ned.
I know of a film coming in from France.
We have heard from England and Scotland.
Anyone from Wales or Ireland taking part?
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Not sure about Wales or Ireland Dave, but I hear our Romanian friends have something in the pipeline :D
A.K. Williams

Post by A.K. Williams »

Will a Welsh surname do? I'm in :)
Tony Williams.