Copying a file to a memory stick

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

Copying a file to a memory stick

Post by Peter Stedman »

I exported a large MPEG 4 video clip from my Prem CS6 to my hard drive, it’s shows as 14.5gb. A friend calls with a 30gb memory stick with 28gb free and I tried copying the clip to this memory stick However, a message states that there is not enough room on the stick for the file. I’m puzzled yet again.

Can any one explain this for me please?

I tied to get onto the forum yesterday but could not do so. I assume there was a problem back stage.

Pete.
TimStannard

Re: Copying a file to a memory stick

Post by TimStannard »

This will be down to the USB stick being formatted using FAT32 which has a maximum file size of 4GB. (Incidentally we use capitals for GigaBytes, a small "b" denotes bits - an eighth of a byte. Pedantic, I know, and we all know what you meant in this context, but one day it might be important to get right)
Basically you need to format the USB drive to NTFS. This will destroy anything already on the stick so make sure it's backed up first.

See the following article for a fuller explanation:

http://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-exp ... d-of-ntfs/
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Tim for the explanation and for putting me right on the use of GB. Always something new to learn.
Thanks again.
Pete.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Yes, Pete, you were right. There have been some back-stage problems with the forum recently. The team from our generous hosts, Merula, have been battling to put everything right.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Can I add that memory sticks can also be formatted ExFat, this will allow files upto 2Tb to be written so as memory sticks are nowhere near this capacity you will be OK with this.

A Mac will read Fat32 formats and also read NTFS, but a Mac will not write to NTFS but they will read and write ExFat. Hence if you have large files to transfer to and from a Mac ExFat will work on OSX 10.6.5.

This also works with portable hard drives, I have had to format a WD MyPassport in ExFat so my Wife and I can transfer files both ways between her Mac and my PC.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Good point, Col.
Worth adding that NTFS and ExFAT are not as widely recognised as FAT32 by devices other than PCs/Macs. I believe NTFS is more widely recognised than ExFAT. Having said that, my Sony Bravia apparantly recognised ExFAT but not NTFS!

So, just to add to your complications, Peter, if the USB stick is being used by a media player or plugged directly into a TV, you'd better check the spec of that first!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it