Using YouTube and Vimeo

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

Using YouTube and Vimeo

Post by Dave Watterson »

For a week or so I have been fielding questions from a senior citizen, who is trying to put films online. He is not new to computing but is having lots of problems.

He finds Vimeo's interface much, much easier to understand.

I think part of his problem with YouTube may be having the security settings on Internet Explorer set too high. He does not see pop-ups, tool-tips and so on.

I agree with him that the YouTube interface is far from intuitive. How do you get on with it?
TimStannard

Re: Using YouTube and Vimeo

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote: I agree with him that the YouTube interface is far from intuitive. How do you get on with it?
I have no problem with it other than remembering my password if I'm not on my PC where it's saved.
Go to YouTube. Click the Upload button, top right, and drag a file into the "upload" area.
I have no issue muddling through the rest of it either.
I find the key thing is to ensure you click on "My Channel" (left hand column) to do anything concerning your own videos.

Facebook, on the other hand, I find a nightmare to navigate. Especially when I see a post and it's disappeared when I go back to examine it in detail. :shock:
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

"Facebook, on the other hand, I find a nightmare to navigate. Especially when I see a post and it's disappeared when I go back to examine it in detail."
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble finding a Facebook post I want to look at a second time.

It's a long time since I uploaded anything to YouTube, but I seem to recall finding Vimeo's upload system along with their display options and access settings easier to use.
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Facebook works dynamically. It does not show you everything your friends have written ... only what it thinks will be most interesting to you. They change that almost minute to minute. There are a couple of awkward work-arounds.

If I see something I think I may want to come back to I copy it, or if it is a link to another website I bookmark it.

If you know who posted the item you want to find again ... use the search box at top left to go to their own page and look down that.

But back to the subject ...

Simple uploading is not so much the problem as managing playlists, trimming the video to get rid of leaders and trailers, if they forgot to do that before uploading.