WIN.7 time and date display

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

WIN.7 time and date display

Post by Roy1 »

I can't seem to keep the proper date and time displayed with Win.7. When I do change the panel to the correct display after a couple of days it slips back to some other time and date display. Does anybody know why this should happen and what is the cure? I have got it set up for the correct region.
Stephen

Re: WIN.7 time and date display

Post by Stephen »

Hiya Roy

Have you done a thorough scan of the pc with anti virus software?

Been running 7 a couple of years now its pretty stable without any major problems....
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
GtBFilms

Post by GtBFilms »

How old is your PC?

The most common cause of this in my experience is a dead CMOS battery (it's one of those CR2032 or similar batteries on the motherboard and can be easily replaced for about £1), but they don't normally die until the PC is at least 5 years old or so. When that is out of power, the PC won't reliably remember the time when it's switched off.

If you don't want to open your PC up, and you are always connected to the internet, an alternative option is to use Windows 7 internet time synchronisation to basically correct the incorrect clock at more regular intervals.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pc-times-m ... c-windows/
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Stephen. I have Avast as security and it scans everything all the time. I will however do a full scan to see what happens.
GT.B FILMS. Thanks for your input. I looked at the Info contained in the URL you quote and to be truthful I don't understand one word of it. My fault of course.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

No Probs Roy.... as gtb states and if pc is more than 3 years old I would replace mobo battery as a matter of course.... there will be a youtube clip somewhere for that!!!
Stephen

Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. Stephen. Billy Ellwood has fitted a new battery for me and everything now is OK. Thanks for the info. I never knew that motherboards had a battery. Probally because I've never had one go dud before. However I have a much more serious problem and that is after transferring An Epson printer Stylus photo R300 from WIN.XP to another PC with WIN7 64 bit. It will only print to paper and the CD print doesn't work nor does the ink monitor display, nor printing progress is shown. A poster on the IAC forum said I needed the correct driver and gave info. where to get it. Unfortunately it appears that no such driver is available for this model to work with WIN7 64 bit. Have you got any ideas. Unless there is an answer It looks as if I shall have to go back to XP for CD printing or buy a new printer. Cheers Roy
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

This is a typical case Roy and a method manufacturers' use to stimulate users to junk perfectly good hardware as they will no longer commission new software drivers.
I have a state of the art canon scanner which is also not supported in win7 / 64...
I keep an old laptop in the cupboard with xp on and it all works flawlessly.
Glad Billy sorted ya!!
Stephen

TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Stephen wrote:This is a typical case Roy and a method manufacturers' use to stimulate users to junk perfectly good hardware as they will no longer commission new software drivers.
I don't believe this is true, Stephen, for several reasons.
It is well known manufacturers barely make money on the printers, but recoup it on the inks.
Windows 7 was much more restrictive (for security reasons) as to how it allows software to communicate with hardware and I suspect that this is why only limited functionality is supported.
It's not good publicity if their printers don't work with Microsoft's latest next OS.

But when they develop the printer, they do not know what Microsoft's next OS is going to be. The fact is they created a printer/driver that worked perfectly well (I presume) with the system Roy bought it for. It was Roy's decision to upgrade his OS, or maybe he was forced to due to ailing kit or maybe because he wanted later software that would only run on Windows 7 - but whatever the reason - it was not Epson who asked him to do it.

If we move house, we don't expect to take the wallpaper with us (or expect the curtains to fit perfectly). It's nice if we can keep the old house as well (like your XP laptop) but if it's falling down we just have to bite the bullet.

EDIT - just seen Col's post on the subject. CD printing IS available on the R300 as a separate utility and even Windows 8 is supported
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Tim

3 scanners and 2 printers later believe me it is true.... 100% :shock: :shock:

all but the last very.... nay... VERY expensive Canon scanner (no win7 driver/support so runs on XP only)
the previous hardware went in the bin
contacting the suppliers gets you nowhere ... why should they develop software everytime MS brings out a new OS

never bought manufacturers inks at their silly prices.... never had a problem with compatible inks
where do they make their money on a scanner?
its in their interest to get people to buy new

have a google at how many people are looking for drivers who are in the same situation as Roy!
Stephen

TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Stephen wrote:Hi Tim

3 scanners and 2 printers later believe me it is true.... 100% :shock: :shock:
I don't doubt it is true that they often do not produce drivers for later OSes, but I disagree with your reasons why.

It is often in their interests to provide later drivers for goodwill, but that's the only reason. There is no obligation and indeed they've already accounted for their development costs.

If you don't buy their inks they've even less incentive to sell to you (and you are part of the reason the inks I buy are so costly). I most definitely have had problems with third party inks. Quite apart from the colour and their propensity to fade, I've had printers not work and lots of leaks. But I support IT in commercial (indeed school) environments and so perhaps the users lack the care that you and I might take :)
Stephen wrote: have a google at how many people are looking for drivers who are in the same situation as Roy!
I'm well aware. But official drivers do exist (as Col has pointed out) and I wouldn't mind betting on a clean Windows install they will work perfectly. The problem often arises when there have been failed attempts with the wrong, or buggy, drivers.
Tim
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

You speak much sense Tim. :-)

Good to have your input...

Noticed there's a another thread from Roy on drivers etc so will leave this
Stephen

Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM. Both you and Stephen have valid observations. The only point I will make is that we are living in a world of built in obsolescence. I changed to Windows 7 because Microsoft, in their wisdom, withdrew support for XP, which I believe the majority of home users were using including government departments. I was certainly very happy with it. I will say, however, that I am very happy with Win 7 as I am with my printer which is going back to the PC which has still got XP on it. We followed Colin's advice to the letter without finding the Driver required. As Colin was talking about his experience two years ago, It is possible that that route is no longer available. Thanks for your interest.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy1 wrote:The only point I will make is that we are living in a world of built in obsolescence.
I totally agree, and it seems criminal!
However one cannot blame companies alone. Microsoft sold you a copy of Windows XP.
If they stop there, hundreds of thousands of people become unemployed :shock:
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM. I take your point but I think it could been of made easier to transfer programmes from XP to WIN 7
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I seem to recall there were various utilities that's would help, but would you really want to transfer all the rubbish that accumulated over the years? I tended to totally wipe Windows every couple of years and reinstall. It made a massive difference to performance. Not so essential with Win7 as it is better at housekeeping
Tim