BIAFF 2015 entries

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
TimStannard

Re: BIAFF 2015 entries

Post by TimStannard »

GtBFilms wrote:While I do like the sound of your "A Plot Off the Internet" Tim, I fear it sounds like you have missed a trick there. In addition to extending the story before the punchline in order to feature everyone in the club, didn't you consider also extending it after the punchline, perhaps with an explanation/clarification, ...
You're absolutely right. We did consider it but two of the lead actors wanted to get home in time for "The Archers".

On the other hand we did manage to ensure that everyone who was in any way linked to the film, however tenuously, was given a credit. Without blowing my own trumpet I was included in the credits for plot idea, short story writer, screenplay, script, storyboard, script editor, shot list, camera, assistant camera, DoP, location audio, audio editing, audio FX, audio dubbing, foley, ambient audio, sound mixer, boom operator, gaffer, lighting, director unit 1, assistant director unit 2, character actor, acting extra, grip, key grip, dolly grip, focus puller, wardrobe, costume, makeup, hair, properties, location manager, producer, on-line editor, off-line editor, video fx editor, titles, graphics, casting director, colourist, continuity.
I realised afterwards that I'd forgotten to include catering manager as I'd bought a Twix at a petrol station on the way to the shoot.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Pity the poor judges who will be faced with such artistic gems in February!

At least with the IAC system, those masterpieces will be given a fair hearing and considerate comments. In many large international events the "also rans" get short shrift. A pre-selection team might simply put them straight into the return envelopes or the waste bin.

I do not always agree with the IAC judging, but I respect and admire the fact that it is all about helping every entrant to improve and develop her or his work. It is NOT just about picking out a handful of films to get special prizes. A large number of entrants know they do not stand a realistic chance of a top award, but value the opportunity yo see what rating (star level) they receive. Will they do better or worse than last year? When they see the other films at the same grading they have a good idea how their work is perceived.

That said, it is tempting to put up a trophy for the worst and most "amateurish" film !!!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Absolutely right Dave. I'm sure the vast majority aren't expecting top awards but enter for the benefit of judges comments, star ratings, and hope that their films are selected for screening and/or inclusion on the BIAFF DVD selections.
The fact there is an entry fee does at least add an element of "pre-selection" even if it is self imposed. Club competitions tend to attract anything that vaguely fits the criteria and some people seem to have no shame! Don't get me wrong - I'm more than happy to offer advice to people who make even the most basic errors (in the same way as I am happy to receive advice about my own hopefully less basic errors) but when the same maker insist on including film after film exhibiting the same basic errors it can get a bit tedious.

Edit: Obviously by "error" i mean "scope for improvement" :)
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

A quick message from David Newman, the IAC Competition Officer ...

If you have sent a film for the 2015 IAC International Amateur Film Competition you should have received an acknowledgement - usually by email - to say it has arrived.

If you have not had such an acknowledgement,
please email the Competition Manager (competition@theiac.org.uk) ...
we have had a couple of small problems with the postal service.
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

I am glad I had a quick look at the forum. I have not received an acknowledgement for my entry for this years festival. I have sent a mail to the competition officer. I was assuming that there was no acknowledgement this year. And watching my bank statement to see if the payment had been made.

Anyone know what the problem is with the postal service? Mine was sent from a main post office well before the closing date. I hope that seven months of work has not been thwarted by our super duper privatised postal system, can't say service. :(

Pq.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I think the problem may well be one of those "we mislaid the packages awaiting collection" issue than anything else. As a man in full-time employment, David Newman, our Competition Manager, cannot check with the local post office every day.

I hope you will get confirmation of the film's arrival in the next few days.
ned c

Post by ned c »

I have just received an e-mail from David Newman that our "lost" films have arrived safely; the PO Box problem apparently solved.

ned c
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Mon film a également été reçue avoir eu un retard avec le service de boîte postale. (Well one has to add a little international flavour to the proceedings).
Willy

Post by Willy »

Please, Pqtrick! You do not live in Villeurbanne anymore! Mais je comprend. La langue française est très mélodieuse. Ik spreek thuis Nederlands und ich habe Deutsch in der Schule gelernt, but I love English. See you in Sittingbourne.
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

Erratum
La conjugaison du verbe comprendre :
Je comprends, tu comprends, il comprend ...
Sorry
Willy Van der Linden
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

HELLO WILLY! good to hear from you again, hope you are now doing OK . I have to be careful writing French as I usually have a 'prof' watching over my shoulder telling me 'I should know that' when I make a mistake. No we don't live in Villeurbanne any more but I look upon Lyon as being my adopted home and in some respects miss it. But then living back in England in a little market town with fresh winds, cool rain and swirling mists is sometimes preferable to the dust bowl of the Rhone Valley in summer.

Now, Sittingbourne! We still have not decided yet to go. But the prospect of meeting up with you and others of the international set makes it more of a tempting prospect! The thought of driving down the M1 and M25 to 'The South' (We live in 'The North' as far a the south is concerned) is a daunting prospect. So much so, we have been flying back to Lyon from B'ham now for a number of years.

Anyway a mention of film before I get picked up by the moderator. I have made an epic this year, in an 'epic' in as much that the time I have had to spend on it, so much so, I said it would be my last. DW said it wouldn't but for me the jury is still out. I am nervous of the judges comments! I suppose having bought a DSLR camera and an iMAC with Final Cut pro might persuade me to do something else.

So reading your message, Christine has suddenly shown an interest in going to BAIFF 'We could spend a few days around St Omer or drive to the bay of La Somme while we are down there'. So it looks a bit more promising!

See you there (somewhere).

Pqtrick.

PS I still have AZERTY clavier on my iMAC because became used to it on my PC and the accents are easy for Christine when typing French. Don't worry about your verbs, I am told that the French don't know them now.
ned c

Post by ned c »

I am hoping many of the "names" here will be at BIAFF as we have a bit more than the M 1 and M 25 to negotiate. From our mountain valley to St. George and then down I 15 to Las Vegas and Virgin Atlantic non-stop to Gatwick, rental car to Sittingborne. After the Festival to our spiritual home in East Anglia and the North Sea, a complete contrast to the to the 10,000 foot mountains we look at across the valley. Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Well all your predictions about the films entered for the IAC International Competition (from which BIAFF screenings are picked) came true.

There were indeed all sorts of unlikely films, many pedestrian ones, some which looked more like personal memoirs than films for general showing ... but I am delighted to tell you that there were a great many of the other kinds: bright, lively, challenging, beautiful, fascinating, thought-provoking and entertaining films.

The judges are busy preparing their notes, trying to be insightful and helpful without being patronising or trivial.

The emails should be going out mid March telling entrants how they got on. When everyone has had a chance to get the news we will publish the results on the IAC website. Shortly after that we hope to list the BIAFF programmes to help you all decide which mini-cinema to aim for at any point in the Saturday.

You will have plenty to enjoy and admire.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote:Well all your predictions ... came true.
... many pedestrian ones, some which looked more like personal memoirs than films for general showing ...
That is a shame, Dave. I pity the poor judges.
With your years of experience on the panel (and without giving any names away) do you get frustrated that the same people seem to enter films with the same basic flaws year after year? Do you find some people are oblivious to the constructive criticism? We certainly find this at club level.
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

That is sometimes irksome, but my impression was that we also saw a lot of new film makers, who made old mistakes. When I say "new" their work suggested people who started movie making on retirement, not 16 year olds.

This seems a hopeful sign to me. Fresh enthusiasts are what we need and the actual number of birthdays they have had is irrelevant.

When judges start to watch a film they are not told the maker's name - though that becomes evident when the credits roll. We are strictly warned to treat each film as a one-off and not to make mental comparisons with other work. Of course those of us who have been doing this for a long time do recognise the strengths and weaknesses of individuals ... but what is important is how they apply their talents to the subject this time.