CHEAP PRESENTS FOR FILM MAKERS

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

CHEAP PRESENTS FOR FILM MAKERS

Post by Dave Watterson »

As Christmas / Hannukah is coming up, what suggestions do you all have for cheap presents suited to a film maker.

Let's think about gifts under £20 not 4K cameras and the like ...
John Roberts

Re: CHEAP PRESENTS FOR FILM MAKERS

Post by John Roberts »

Great for hurtling your cherished camera at high speeds down a slope!

For just over a tenner plus a modicum of postage you get a nice aluminium frame and adjustable axles, proper bearings and rubbery wheels, plus three locations to fix your camera with the removable 1/4" BSW knurled screw. I use mine with a small ball and socket head from another tripod to give the camera a little extra height and adjustable angle (you can use the frame 'upside down' for extra height as well). Even with the purchase of a cheap ball and socket head it should all cost less than a 'score' :D

Or buy two and use as roller skates for those 'You've Been Framed' action shots!

col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Search in ebay for.......camera bag inserts

Then you can use any old bag to house your camera safely

Or

You can add inserts into an existing bag that just does not have enough seperators for all your toys
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Trev52A

Post by Trev52A »

I like the look of that 'roller skate' contraption, John. Can you give us more details, please?

Incidentally, (and hijacking the thread, slightly) I saw your film 'Acid Rain' at the NECA 'Open' and 'Holiday' competitions last night at Newcastle ACA. Although it did not win an award I thought it was the most exciting and entertaining entry on show. I remember a few months ago on this forum you were querying the use of a few seconds of footage from TVs. Presumably this was the result? (No doubt your film on a similar idea we saw at Scarborough recently was the build up to this magnum opus).

And now, back to topic...
Regards
Trevor
Last edited by Trev52A on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Trev52A wrote:I like the look of that 'roller skate' contraption, John. Can you give us more details, please?

Incidentally, (and hijacking the thread, slightly) I saw your film 'Acid Rain' at the NECA 'Open' and 'Holiday' competitions last night at Newcastle ACA. Although it did not win an award I thought it was the most exciting and entertaining entry on show. I remember a few months ago on this forum you were querying the use of a few seconds of footage from TVs. Presumably this was the result? (No doubt your film on a similar idea we saw at Scarborough recently was the build up to this magnum upus).

And now, back to topic...
Regards
Trevor
Hi Trevor, and thanks for your kind words about the video. No-one's informed me of the NECA results but your comments echo all those I have received so far (all positive) and the results echo all those I have received so far (not won a single thing). For anyone interested, the link to the video is at:

youtu.be/

I did eventually manage to source some Public Domain footage, but the computer generated locations, green screen work, outdoor shots and band footage is all original, and you are correct in thinking that this is a 'follow-on' to the 'Song For Someone' music video shown at NERIAC (also available through the link above). It's doubtful these videos will be presented for any further competitions so do please have a look if anyone's interested, but to be fair to Dave W's thread PM comments to me instead :-)

Back to the topic, the item in question is called a 'Skater Dolly' so you can search the usual online sellers for the item, but the link to the actual one I bought (the cheapest I have found) is below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/niceEshop-Skate ... ater+dolly

Hope this helps, and thanks again Trevor :)
Trev52A

Post by Trev52A »

Thanks for the link to the 'Skater Dolly', John.
I've ordered one!

Regards
Trevor E.
Trev