LILLIPUT 7" MONTOR

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Pqtrick

LILLIPUT 7" MONTOR

Post by Pqtrick »

Hello Forum members, I have been 'off air' for quite some time. I am busy trying to make a film which I am compounded with the usual problems.

However, my technical question is, if some one can help is: I have a Lumix GH3 DSLR and I am using a borrowed external 7" monitor (I think it is a Lilliput) connected to it using the respective HDMI leads to make the video connection. I am having to use mains power as the batteries do not want to charge - I am getting a loud AC hum on the audio and cannot get rid of it.

I first thought that is may be something to do with the monitor was connected by the 'hot shoe' mount but it is now on a bracket away from the camera. The design of the camera and its inputs do not allow much cable separation. The distance from the power pack/transformer is only about ground level.

Anyone know of there is a solution. I was looking to purchase on of these at some time in the future. It works OK with my colleagues SONY camera on mains.

Is there any solution for me?

Pqtrick
col lamb

Re: LILLIPUT 7" MONTOR

Post by col lamb »

If your power lead to the inverter does not have a ferrite core through which the cable is wound you may get some improvement.

The mains hum is probably being induced in the inverter/charger and there is not too much you can do as it is down to the complexity of the electronic circuitry.

Have you also tried changing the HDMI lead?

I have not noticed any hum induced via my own Lilliput monitor.

Also change the battery
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Thanks Col,

I guess there is not a lot I can do with this as it is not mine having borrowed it.

My only fear is that if I purchase one, will it behave the same. Presumably with a new battery I will be able to use it off mains power which is the problem.

Pqtrick
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

I have one of these monitors and use it a lot on both mains and battery. Never had any problems. I know that doesn't help at the moment but, should you decide to buy one, that's my experience. Pete.
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Hi Col,

Re the 7" monitor I borrowed. I was told to turn it 'off' for charging the battery. but it did not charge. However, my colleague who loaned it to me came back telling me to turn it 'on' when charging the battery, this worked and fully charged the battery. Odd, but in order to turn the monitor on the switch at the front has the be turned on and illuminated.

It still caused a loud AC hum when used directly with the charger on mains, so with this there is no apparent solution.

Pqtrick. :)