Windows XP

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Re: Windows XP

Post by Roy1 »

COL. I know how to use Webmail and ocassionally use it on another PC. However on the XP PC I do not use it, I just click on talktalk's desktop icon. Are you saying that if I use webmail to operate my talktalk email address on the XP PC it wont use outlook express.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

Using webmail will not use express it is browser based.

As Talktalk use AOL it may be that it uses it's own standalone software, with your AOL mail open, select Help and then About, the information in the window will tell you about the software name and it's version number. If it says anything other than Express then you may be OK.

Note, this is a feature applicable to all Windows software.

I did have AOL years ago and it used its own browser and mail system so what you have may be a legacy system free of Microsoft "risks".

I suggest you give Talktalk a ring and specifically ask them.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks COL. I seem to be in further trouble with the XP PC. Before downloading Firefox I had a webmail shortcut on the desktop as well as a an Icon Restorer shortcut. Since downloading Firefox these shortcut icons have disappeared from the desktop as well as the programmes.
The frustrating thing is that I can't download them again. All I get when I try to download anything is do you want to save this file, it never starts to show the box where you click on run.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I have managed to put back ICON RESTORE. But I can't get a desktop short cut to WEBMAIL. Icon Restore was in a folder named downloads but Webmail is not there. I can use webmail by googling TALKTALK WEBMAIL. But I can't download Webmail as a programme.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

All a desktop icon is is a shortcut to start installed software, your software is still there

If you open Windows Explorer and go into the programmes folder.

Look for a folder like AOL or Talktalk and in that folder there should be a file which looks like the email startup file.

There will be a lot of files and the one you want will have a .EXE ending, if you do not see the file dot extension right click in a blank area and select properties, turn on.......show extensions for known file types. Click on apply.

Now select the email programme with a right click select new shortcut, if the shortcut does not go onto the desktop automatically click and hold on it and drag and drop onto the desktop.

The desktop shortcut is now restored.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Strange I think. On 8th April as expected, a notice appeared on my XP PC telling me that the XP support had ended. On 9th April I received 5 updates.
granfer

Post by granfer »

Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

GRANFER. Thanks for the INFO. The government kept that quiet. According to that report The Government has had seven years to move from XP when I imagine it would have been much cheaper. Another example of we are not all in this together. Why should authorities worry, it's not their money they are giving away.