Super 8 camera

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Frank Maxwell

Re: Super 8 camera

Post by Frank Maxwell »

I bet it was a EUMIG Projector???????.
In those days if the film got chewed up I use to hold it near a switched on bulp on a lamp and the greases use to come out. I did that later with editing 35mm film.
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

col lamb wrote:Frank
I did just that, got all the old gear out, set it up, set up camcorder to record

Switched on projector, three seconds later the motor stopped with an acrid burning smell emanating from both the burning celluloid and the carcas of the machine.

Projector now resides in recycling centre
For the crime of destroying vintage film the recycling centre is too lenient a sentence!
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Now, now Peter

The burnt out Agfa sound projector went to the recycling centre (it was cheap rubbish anyway).

My cine is in a box in the cupboard above my PC waiting until I can borrow another projector so I can then digitize the footage
Only then can the cine footage can go to the recycling centre ;-)
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
granfer

Post by granfer »

col lamb wrote: Only then can the cine footage can go to the recycling centre ;-)

Never, never throw away priceless originals1 They will still be viable long after any current Digital copies are unusable due to equipment obsolescence. Projectors, as with vinyl turntables, are basic electro-mechanical devices which can be kept in operational use even if parts need to be fabricated by hand,

Some may see Cine as an "anachronism" within the modern IAC, but the IAC would not even exist but for it! And there is a thriving "Cine" fraternity out there using and collecting Standard 8, Super 8, 9.5mm, 16mm, 17.5mm, 28mm and 35mm, and many still shooting the first four on a regular basis. Many of them are expert in maintaining their machinery in good working order and there are still many, many thousands (perhaps millions) of good working projectors. How many of you can repair a Blu-ray player?
You may not be aware of them if you are stuck into Digital.... but probably most of them are not aware that there is an IAC.... and have no need to be.
It's worth remembering that the IAC is "The FILM and Video Institute"... unless, of course, you know something I don't!
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Well said Granfer. I have four (then)top the range super 8 and dual guauge film projectors, one of which I used to give 12ft wide screen public shows at the local Odeon (Happy days). I have also five top of the range Super 8 cameras in working order. ( I woudn't dream of disposing of them, they were part of my filmatic life). If Kodak had supplied a Super 8 negative stock, I don't think I would've changed to video. However I did and I don't regret it. I still show my old Super8 films now and then and beleive the colour is more geniune than video and the film on the screen seems to be less harsh and more warmer to the eye.(to me anyway).
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Dont forget the many Video Clubs who started life out as Cine-Clubs. With a good supporting members. Today most clubs are struggling at some stage to attract members.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

How can we forget about cine when so many are enthuiastic about it.

About old technology that will put off perspective IAC members.

Move on to the 21st century and forget the rubbish that was 8mm cine
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

I think what was rubbish the event what started all this present computer set up and that is or was VHS format. Many television programmes still rely on cine material from the 60s instead what was recorded on VHS.
Yes, I have moved on but boy it has cost money just to keep up. So that I can work efficiently on my computer editing.
Even the IAC then was a powerful body. Today not many youngsters who deal on a amateur scale have heard or even know what function the IAC do. Even the day Pathe News stopped that was the event of film format coming to a end.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

The world would be a sad place if we did not remember the past and how it contributes to the future. I am quite happy with Video and it offers many advantages that cine did not. But all my happy memories working with other people are all associated with cine. To produce a decent film in those days was the result of dedicated hard work, today the PC does it all for you as long as you know what and where to click, If you ask for help, the experts talk to you as if you already know in a jargon, only the young and perhaps middle aged understand. Why do they use jargon and why do different programme producers have their own jargon. The proof of the difficulty to understand is in the fact they all have to have a glossary of terms to let you know what they mean in plain English. Rant over. Long live Video, but it too will be superceded in the future, then the video devotees will be recalling the good old days of video and be dismissed by the devotees of whatever is in current use. Nothing changes only attitudes.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

We are not the only people engaged in this sort of debate. I urge you all, as I have before, to get hold of a copy of the documentary "Side by Side". I have just obtained a copy from Movie Mail to give to someone. The film deals with the transition from film to digital in the professional production world and the discussions therein are relevant to what we are saying on this forum. It is fascinating I assure you!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Since there are several films and tv shows with that title, let me clarify. This is SIDE BY SIDE featuring the actors: Keanu Reeves, Danny Boyle, James Cameron, David Fincher, David Lynch. Directored by Chris Kenneally. Amazon UK has it for £7.49 in DVD format £13.72 in Blu-Ray
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

And there was me thinking that the gauge wars were dead and buried! To those of us who made a lot of films in the Super 8 format it was most certainly not rubbish, in spite of its limitations compared to what we have today. But surely that is the point - until video came on the scene Super 8 was all we had (unless you could afford 16mm) and we were very happy with it. Nowadays with high definition and powerful PC's we have picture quality and post production facilities that once we could only dream about but it's taken us a very long time, a lot of formats and an awful lot of money, to get to where we are now.
Brian Saberton
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

In this hobby we all talk about the format changes and what it's cost us over the years but it applies to any hobby you care to name, whether it be football or cars or fishing or painting or bird watching.
So, if you feel you've got to cost it, it's not really a hobby, is it?
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Cost does come into it. You can absolutely love a certain form of interest and regret for the rest of your life that you couldn't afford to reach the high standard of activity that you aspired you. At least with cine when a new model of camera or projector was offered most if not all retailers offered a reasonable trade in price. With video equipment I don't see any dealers offering trade in prices. I have known many people who kept the same cine camera and projector for many years during the years that the enjoyed film making.
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Cine may be dead to the younger generation, but us young at heart old timers we still treasure those memories of our productions hitting a white screen.
Today i can still say we still got the box sitting in our living room churing endless hours of rubbish on a bigger screen and endless amateur videos on YouTube etc,. Today as Roy stated cost.
I never spent so much money on cine but with video one is forced by the manufactures to upgrade. I use Apple software and started with Final Cut Pro3. Today i use Final Cut Pro-X because i need to to give my production work the results which I was unable to do years ago.
I think this debate is like the old Hollywood movies. They dont make them like the use too do.
How wonderful it has been to read all these posts. Funny the VHS format dont gets any praise.