Red Carpet Screenings

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
TimStannard

Red Carpet Screenings

Post by TimStannard »

Anyone else planning to go to the Red Carpet Screening in Basingstoke this Saturday (1st June)? Geoff Harmer's "Addict" is among the attractions.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Fingercuff

Re: Red Carpet Screenings

Post by Fingercuff »

I can't make it unfortunately but it's a great evening and I can't recommend it enough!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Jan and I are in the same position. We really enjoy these events, but are in Croatia at the One Minute Movie Festival. We will be thinking of you all there and raising a glass to toast Seb and, of course, Geoff.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Guess I'll be on my own then!
I was wrong about "Addict" - I meant "Karen's Room". I can't keep up with all these films.
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

You will love that film - good script and first-class acting.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Karen's Room went down really well. Was really pleased with all the feedback. :)

Was good to catch up with Tim and James (who did make it in the end). The quality of films on show was great, and what i was really impressed with was the amount of young and female film makers showcasing their work! Was really really good to see! You should all try and come along! :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Let's not go overboard, Geoff. There was one female film-maker who had two films in the show. They wer by far the most "arty" or "left field" films and I wasn't sure whether she was a genius or simply deluded. (OK there were plenty of females involved in other roles - I'm just being controvertial)
But the beauty of the format meant that we were able to see her in person, "interviewed" (or rather "chatted to in a friendly manner") by event organiser Seb Hall. Had we not had this, I would have simply dismissed her, but her down to earth attitude made me reconsider.
Highest production value of the evening went to Celyn Jones' "Sea Change". His "interview" was the best value as well. A real character and I must see if I can get him to talk to us at Staines. A good story with truly excellent acting, camera work and editing - then again Celyn (a TV actor by day) called in many favours to make this so in many ways it was a pro production.
Don't want to embarrass you Geoff, but for me the best film of the evening was Karen's Room. OK, it didn't have the message of some of the more serious films or the gorgeous cinematography of "Sea Change", but it had an excellent script and the two main actors generated brilliant chemistry - initially antagonism, eventually desire - totally convincingly. Both actors had massive charisma which filled the auditorium when they stepped up for the interview with Seb. I'd like to see them paired again - any chance, Geoff? I thought the dialogue was very well written and well handled. I suppose the direction might have has something to do with it :wink: but I think the real skill was in having the foresight to put this together.
Tim
fraught

Post by fraught »

:D Cheers Tim. I'm blushing. Really pleased you liked the film, and i will pass your comments on to the team. I agree about the onscreen chemistry between the two... they really just clicked!

Karen's Room aside... i really liked "Sea Change" too... but it was a semi-pro production. Celyn was a great speaker! I could have listened to him for hours!

I'd love to see more members from the IAC enter the festival or at the very least attend! Who's with me?! :)
fraught

Post by fraught »

The next Red Carpet Screenings Film Festival is this weekend. For details, go here : http://www.centralstudio.co.uk/Film.html

I'm going to be one of the guest panelists, so you'll get to hear me giving feedback on the films that are shown. It'll be great to give the feedback direct to the filmmakers as they all attend. Should be fun. The films on show are looking to be really good, should be something for everyone.

Hope to see some of you there.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Really gutted I can't be there. A family party I don't really want to go to, but we all have obligations :(
Tim
fraught

Post by fraught »

I know how it is Tim. Hope you have a good time though. The next festival is in January, see if you can drum up a submission from your club? :)
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Jan and I plan to be there - floods / tornados etc permitting. We love the feeling of the event and cannot recommend it too highly to everyone interested in film. With the added bonus of Fraught's commentary, this one should be unmissable.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Brilliant! Really look forward to seeing you both!

and thanks for the comments. :)
fraught

Post by fraught »

Here is a link to the next RCS event... be good to see some of you there! :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/6230723 ... 671035476/
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The last one was as good as anticipated with a wide range of films and a very mixed audience ... including two fine child actors whose performances really sold the film they were in. We also chatted with the parents of one new film maker who were supporting him in a first public screening.

The interviews Seb does with film makers are deceptively gentle. He brings out all sorts of useful bits of information about film making, marketing and distribution.

The two "wise heads" who summed up the whole evening managed to tactfully indicate where there were weaknesses without depressing the film makers. The event is eminently worth attending. What's more there are rumours that the January one may develop a party-style atmosphere with many old-hands getting together.

Be there or be wistfully sad and empty inside!