polarising lens filters

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

polarising lens filters

Post by Roy1 »

HI. I have just heard some news which I find hard to believe. I wanted to order a polarising lens filter for a Sony camcorder from Jessops, so I sent them an Email asking if the Hoya Filter they offered would fit my Camcorder. My mnaul does not give the lens thread size, hence the question. The reply came back very quick and said THE FILTER LENS WOULD NOT FIT AS YOU CAN't PUT FILTERS ON A CAMCORDER. I find this puzzling as I already have a wide angle LENS attachment AND AN ND FILTER WHICH WORKS WITH THE CAMCORDER. ARE JESSOPS RIGHT?.
Frank Maxwell

Re: polarising lens filters

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Did Jessops not last year shut down? Most filter work is now done in the editing stage with plug ins. One should be able to put filters on one's camcorder.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Frank Maxwell wrote:Did Jessops not last year shut down? Most filter work is now done in the editing stage with plug ins. One should be able to put filters on one's camcorder.
Yes, Jessops did go bankcrupt but have re-opened with less stores, probally by new owners, and they have a website. I already use filters on my camcorder. After telling Jessops this fact they have replied again saying that they would contact all their stores to see if they sold filters for camcorders. Personall I think, a lens is a lens, whatever it is mounted on and as long as it has a thread on it, you can put a filter on it as I have. done.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Possibly the staff are thinking of compact camcorders with built-in lenses which would be hard to fit with filters. I am guessing you are using a better camera in the Sony range with a "proper" lens.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Dave Watterson wrote:Possibly the staff are thinking of compact camcorders with built-in lenses which would be hard to fit with filters. I am guessing you are using a better camera in the Sony range with a "proper" lens.
Hi Dave. Actually I am wanting the filter for a Sony Handycam HDR-HC3E which has a built in permanant lens with a filter thread. Also I have a Panasonic Camcorder of the same ilk which also takes filters. The main reason I want the filter is because lately I have been making Docs. which required shooting thru' glass and resulted being unable to use many shots because of reflections. I use Vegas 10 and Adobe CS5 for editing and if anyone knows how to remove reflections in post production as Frank suggested, I would be grateful if they tell me how to do it.
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

I don't use the software you stated. Have you tried the colour correction in your software?
granfer

Post by granfer »

According to the manual I have just looked at on-line..... Filter thread 30 mm
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Just who are Jessops employing? Dinner ladies from The Gambia?

The polarising filter is one of the very few filters that can't be replicated in post, so go ahead and order a 30 mm - that's the correct size to avoid covering the flash gun. Get yourself a linear or circular polarisor, the latter being more expensive but no better. You'll lose a stop and a third or thereabouts but that's shouldn't worry the Sony.

tom.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. You might like to know that after telling Jessops that I already put Filters on my Sony camcorder, The same lady replied to say that she was going to contact the various branches of Jessop's to find out if they sold filters specially made for camcorders. Since then I've heard nothing. Probally she has been put right by her sales colleagues and is to embarrased to contact me again. Anyway Jessops have lost my trade.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

There are no filters 'specially made for camcorders' Roy. Camcorders are digital still cameras that take 25 pictures per second.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. I've always known that, but apparantly Jessop's staff did not. The reason I passed on their remarks to you was to show how ignorant one of thier staff was.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Yes I realise that Roy and as you say, you already have an ND and a wideangle lens that you use on your Sony. I'd be very surprised indeed if the instruction book didn't tell you the camcorder had a 30mm filter thread, but not at all surprised that the same book omitted the fact that the camera comes fitted with internal ND filtration that's deployed whenever it's considered necessary. I'm intrigued to know why you thought it needed more ND, and of course a holiday in the Sahara might be your reply.

tom.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. The reason I have a ND filter is because when I bought the wide angle lens in Spain the ND filter was thrown in on the deal. The Spanish dealer fitted both the filter and the wide angle lens at the same time on the Camera and I just left them on. I have read the book manual again and still can't find the filter lens thread size although it does show it when looking at the specifications on line. I never knew the camera had a built in ND filter. You live and learn. I am bidding for the official Sony polorizing filter kit on Ebay. Thanks for your interest.