HD and You Tube

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

HD and You Tube

Post by Peter Stedman »

I have finally got around to doing some recording in HD on my Sony Z5 using tape. I have created a 4 & half minute project and decided to place it on You Tube. I used the H264 setting and note that it says that the files is 782mb. On trying to upload it to You Tube I note that the time expected was well over 300 minutes. After two tries I abandoned this.

I realise that HD will take much longer to upload but over 5 hours for such a short video seems very long. Perhaps members would care to tell me if this is the sort of time I must expect. Perhaps there is an alternative setting that I should use for uploads to You Tube.

I would mention that I have also put this question on the DVDoctor board.

Thanks. Pete.
John Roberts

Re: HD and You Tube

Post by John Roberts »

Hello Peter,

I'm sorry - I have no experience of uploading to YouTube in HD, however because the internet is more geared up to expect someone to download a file as opposed to upload one, upload speeds are generally slower - mine is about four times slower. Therefore it would take me four times longer to upload the 782mb file than it would to download it. Five hours does seem like a long time though, but this time is an estimated time and it might well speed up (or indeed slow down!) I imagine it's also dependent on how busy YouTube servers are, so trying again at a different time of day (when the US of A is sleeping) might help.

Hope you find this useful :)

John
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks for the reply John.
I have remade the file as an FLV as I have used this a lot in the past. The file is less than half the size now. YT now estimates the upload time to be around two hours, so let's see how it goes. Pete.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Good luck! :D
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Pete

Youtubes standard data rates are as follows

Standard quality uploads
Type Video Bitrate Mono Audio Bitrate Stereo Audio Bitrate 5.1 Audio Bitrate
1080p 8,000 kbps 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps
720p 5,000 kbps 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps
480p 2,500 kbps 64 kbps 128 kbps 196 kbps
360p 1,000 kbps 64 kbps 128 kbps 196 kbps

So in reality a 720p 16x9 format file at the data rates above is the way to go

All to often people try to upload a movie encoded at much higher data rates and then Youtube has to re-encode them, hence the very long time

Also if one does not pay then there is a limit to the upload data rate

My HD movies are recorded in mp4 format at a data rate between 21 and 28 mbps, if I want to uplaod to the web then I encode specfically for it using a standard Edius or Premiere export preset
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

col lamb wrote:Pete

Youtubes standard data rates are as follows

Standard quality uploads
Type Video Bitrate Mono Audio Bitrate Stereo Audio Bitrate 5.1 Audio Bitrate
1080p 8,000 kbps 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps
720p 5,000 kbps 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps
480p 2,500 kbps 64 kbps 128 kbps 196 kbps
360p 1,000 kbps 64 kbps 128 kbps 196 kbps

So in reality a 720p 16x9 format file at the data rates above is the way to go

All to often people try to upload a movie encoded at much higher data rates and then Youtube has to re-encode them, hence the very long time

Also if one does not pay then there is a limit to the upload data rate

My HD movies are recorded in mp4 format at a data rate between 21 and 28 mbps, if I want to uplaod to the web then I encode specfically for it using a standard Edius or Premiere export preset
Thank Col. Sadly for me, and perhaps some others, most of the above is a little over my head. However, I am now using Prem CS6 and encoded it there. So what Premiere preset do you use please?

My FLV version is now uploaded and online and plays fine. Thanks again. Pete
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Hi peter
one thing i do is upload just before going to bed... then with some luck..its there in the morning ready to watch
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Peter

I cannot be specific for CS6 as I am on CS5.5

For a HD youtube movie, I select Export > Media the select h264 and from within the dropdown preset list select Youtube HD widescreen

All the Youtube settings are there already set-up in the preset, there are also presets for Vimeo

The standard Premiere preset is for a 720p movie to upload

hope this helps
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks all. It's been pointed out to me from elsewhere that my Broadband speed here is just about the lowest possible . . . . . I must check to see what other ISPs offer in my area. Thanks again. Pete.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Since I too have faced amazingly long upload times for movies, I have been watching this thread with interest.

Why didn't I just ask Col?!?!?

Peter, you are far from being alone with a basic "Broadband" speed ... just be thankful we are not still on dial-up modems.

At least John Ingham has a practical suggestion about overnight uploads.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

For some time this Dinosaur has been looking away from posting films on the web but now realise that the time has come! Years ago I posted some of my old 16mm shorts but they were SD and less than 29 minutes duration.

Now Col, you seem to be the tech wizard around these parts, are you going to Chesterfield and could you spare ten minutes over a drink or two? I've been led to believe that for longer films Vimeo is a better bet, firstly for the longer running times and secondly for HD quality, is this true? I don't know where to start however, I only make films, I'm very limited.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Michael

If you had asked me a week ago I would have said yes I will be at Chesterfiled on the Saturday (family event on the Sunday hence Sat only available day), then I find out that I have to be in Manchester all Saturday so alas I will not be there.

But in true Blue Peter fashion....... http://vimeo.com/52854766

This is my tutorial on the Vimeo website on producing SD and HD movie files, including encoding for Youtube and Vimeo.

Vimeo does give the best quality and it is free, even for HD but you do have a upload limit.

Vimeo is in a different league from the rampant dross that gets uploaded onto Youtube so for serious movie makers it is the site to frequent first, then post on Youtube to hedge bets.

Register with Vimeo, go through the categories and groups, joining as many as you wish to but do join at least 10, make a movie using a Vimeo preset in your editing software, log into Vimeo and select UPLOAD, browse to the movie file you just made and select it, then add the text to title and describe your movie and then link it to the groups/categories you are either interested in or have joined.

Do check on what the weekly or single file upload size is allowed prior to attempting to upload otherwise if it is a long movie its filesize may be a problem, I am a subscriber hence I have no limit to uploads and why I am unsure of specific limits to non-subscribers

It is also an easy way for friends and family to get a copy since you can allow the movie file to be downloaded if you wish.

Hope this helps.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Sorry Col to miss you at Chesterfield but many thanks for your reply. Actually, I was also looking forward to taking you up on your criticism of my support and use of the ProRes codec, which seems now to be the universal codec of choice amongst editors world wide. I digress however. I would of course like to subscribe to Vimeo, but does that mean that only subscribers would be able to view ones films? I will, of course, now view your Tutorial.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Michael

Clients wanting Prores files are a problem...........Premiere does not directly support the format......Prores is a MAC supported file format, it is not supported directly on a PC.

It is still and always will be an intermediate codec, one that was meant to be used to transcode source files into a format that a MAC could edit.

Yes it does give great results and many clients in the Broardcast industry are wanting Prores files

I use Premiere CS5.5 and Edius 6 neither of which export to Prores, so for a PC user Prores is effectively a non started and totally irrelavent for the vast majority of users.

Standard MP4 or MPEG2 file formats with the correctly set output parameters are the best but if one has to have an uncompressed file then Grass Valleys HQX is the way to go.

As for Vimeo, anyone can view the movie unless you assign them as private in which case only people you want can view the movie. The key to getting them seen is the correct linking to other groups and nudges in the direction of the staff who arrange the "staff picks" movies
Last edited by col lamb on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Anyone can view your films on Vimeo although you can limit access if you wish. http://vimeo.com/user3134480/videos this takes you to my uploads. For around $60 per annum you can upload 5 GB per week.

ned c