is this the sign of the times

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

is this the sign of the times

Post by Roy1 »

I have just returned from a holiday abroad and have been videoing in a highly popular area and was suprised to see the lack of people using camcorders. There was no shortage of people using still cameras and even more using cellphones to video. I assume they were videoing as most of them were waving their cellphones about as if panning in a wild manner. During my whole trip I think I saw no more than six people using camcorders, and they didn't seem to know what they were doing. No wonder video clubs are struggling.
TimStannard

Re: is this the sign of the times

Post by TimStannard »

I think this has been commented on before, Roy, so it's definitely a sign of the times. However I'm not sure this relates to video clubs struggling. How many of the people who waved camcorders about in the past belonged to clubs? Very few! I suspect the percentage of camcorder users who actually bother to edit their footage - ie the more serious users - is much higher than when every man and his dog waved one around. What's more, I bet a lot of those people you saw with DSLRs were recording video - and they would be more "serious" users as well.

What I'm saying is that I suspect the total number of potential club members has not changed (indeeed it has probably increased). What we are all lousy at is promoting the benefits of belonging to a club to these people. And a large part of that problem is that the benefits are not really appreciated until one has been to a number of meetings. (And this is where Reading are doing a great job - but that's another story)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

I think what you're seeing is the difference between 'tourist photographers' and 'serious photographers'.
The tourist photographers are just out to capture memories of their visit and I suspect that the word 'edit' isn't in their vocabulary, they video with their phones because that's a quick way of sharing their memories with their friends as a series of short video clips in a way that they just can't do with a camcorder.
The serious photographers go looking to create a record of their holiday that they intend to edit and upload to YouTube or Vimeo, but that sort of photography takes more planning and thought about what and where you film and people who do that are much thinner on the ground.
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

With mobile phone you take images and video and within minutes they are posted on Youtube, Facebook etc.

On holiday take the images upload and away your family and friends go to see what you are up to

The other night a friend received images his son sent of his flight to LA within minutes of him landing in LA

My Wife has a small pocket Panny still camera that takes pretty good 720p video and 12Meg stills so she can take whatever she wants at the flick of a switch

My mobile itself is a Samsung Galaxy S3 and that takes pretty good video and still images

As for editing holiday footage, I do not know about you good folks but I have video on the PC that I shot 20 years ago that is still awaiting editing. To give an example I went to Hawaii in 2000 and out of 6 MiniDV tapes filled I have managed to make a 4 minute music video and a 10 minute documentary about one specific location (Pearl Harbour)

It took me 2 years to edit my Wedding video

Times change
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Hi Col, I hope you've written Pearl Harbor correctly on your 2000 video edit :)
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

personally..and this is just me....I would never take a video camera on holiday..a still camera yes,

I can understand that some like to make holiday videos...not my cup of tea though...if i really thought something was worth filming...i would use the phone
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
FredD

Post by FredD »

Hey guys....

I am a bit 'hazy' on this whole 'Holiday' concept !
Dare I say, that for me, everyday is a 'holiday' ?

And Colin, in case it is necassary to comment on Toms' post above :

"A popular misconception is in the spelling of Pearl Harbor. It is a place that now lies in the 50th state of the United States, and as such is a proper noun subject to American spelling. It was not then, and is not now Pearl Harbour. All reasonably sophisticated publications on either side of the Pond spell each other's place names in a manner that respects the national preference of the place. And never mind that the movie PEARL HARBOR was spelled PEARL HARBOUR in Britain and the Commonwealth: that was a cynical attempt to persuade non-Yanks to spend their money at the box office !"

Kind regards,
Fred D
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

JOHN,just in case there is any mistake, I have to say that I do not make holiday films. I make documentary travelogues of the area that I am visiting whilst my partner enjoys her holiday pursuits. Among the comments I have received is one from a Pro in Spain who said on YouTube that I have some great stuff and that I make holiday videos that are very interesting.That among other comments tells me that I am doing something right.
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

ROY.. thats great mate, and I am honestly pleased for you.... if we all filmed the same thing..life would be boring.... We must all do what we get the most pleasure out of
and without doubt i would watch certain films that i would not want to film.....

keep up the good work

john
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

An old saying amongst film makers "You either make a film or have a holiday". How true. I've made films on holiday very occasionally but it sure was not a holiday!
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Michael. How right you are. I don't think of myself on holiday rather that I am on location, whilst my partner has her holiday at the same place. I see what she sees but I see it through the viewfinder. I would be restless if I wasn't making a video. It wouldn't be natural for us all to be the same. We have wandered somewhat from my original post but I do think that if people had not got cellphones that videod, some of them would have camcorders and would want to know the basic rules of how to make a watchable video and maybe join a club.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

That may be true for you retired types, but for those of us who still have a day job, taking time out to make a film IS a holiday.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

Michael Slowe wrote:An old saying amongst film makers "You either make a film or have a holiday". How true. I've made films on holiday very occasionally but it sure was not a holiday!
I know what you mean Michael. Some years ago I went on holiday with the intention of making and AV sequence, as I recall I didn't really enjoy the holiday because I was too busy trying to find shots for my AV.
These days I go on holiday and take lots of pictures of where I visit. Then when I get home I look at what I've got and see if I can make something out of it. If I can, that's good, if I can't, well that's is it and I move on.
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

PS...whats a holiday :lol: its only been 4 years since i had one
fraught

Post by fraught »

TimStannard wrote:That may be true for you retired types, but for those of us who still have a day job, taking time out to make a film IS a holiday.
So true Tim! I had to take a weekend away from the Family to shoot a film and my other half considered it me having a Jolly... she now wants a weekend to relax where i look after the kids! The things us young-uns do to get our films made! ;-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net