New HD Camera

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Alwyn Anne

New HD Camera

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Hi,

I have a Panasonic HC-X900 video camera which comes with an HD Writer AE 4.1. I captured my film onto the HD Writer, thinking I could then transfer it to my own editing system, ie. Pinaccle Studio 14 but cannot find out how. I then tried to capture it straight to Pinnacle directly but that doesn't work either. Could the HD Writer be blocking my own editing system? I know the HD Writer has its own editing system but I like to use what I am used to!

I am very puzzled :?
granfer

Re: New HD Camera

Post by granfer »

I'm not a computer expert, but I foresee me having this problem later when I start to use my Panasonic with HD Writer and Pinnacle 14. I came across this, which may be helpful..

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-forma ... c-sd5.html

It refers mainly to importing to Premiere by first saving to mpeg2. If one can do this with Premiere, then Studio 14 should be possible as it will Import mpeg2 also.

Perhaps one of the buffs would like to comment?
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Anne

HD writer is used to transfer the files on your camcorder into the PC and whilst doing so it converts it to an MPEG2 file you can see this easily as the files on the camcorder will have an MTS extension whereas the captured and converted files have an M2TS extension

Alternatively remove the card and place it in a card reader, on the PC create a folder with a name you will recognise (I use something like "20121031 woods" where the numbers are the year month day and the text is the subject matter) and then into this folder copy all the contents of the card including the folder structure

In your editing programme you can then import the video files from the STREAM folder which is located deep within your equivalent of my "20121031 woods" folder
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
ned c

Post by ned c »

http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Pr ... N-SL-S14-1

Something of a handful but this is a video demo of how to import file based sources into Pinnacle Studio 14

ned c
granfer

Post by granfer »

Thank you ned c! I've been using Studio 14 for some time by trial and error because the Manual, although bulky, is NOT very well written (It doesn't tell you how to do things.. only what you can do!
These Videos are excellent; I've picked up several tips already.
Now (tongue in cheek) can any of you computer whizz-kids can tell me how I can download those Videos and put them on Disc?
granfer
Alwyn Anne

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Thank you all, I will try your ideas. :wink:
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Granfer
Download and install Mozilla Firefox web browser

Then add into Firefox the video capture plug in

Using Firefox go to the web page where you want to download the video and click on the plug in control and select download

Simples

You can see how to do this via Youtube "Tutorials"
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Alwyn Anne

Post by Alwyn Anne »

I have now found out how to get my film onto my editing programme (Pinnacle Studio 14) but find it very slow. Is there a better faster editing programme for HD that anyone has found.

ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Anne; this could be your computer rather than the program. What are the specs of your computer? CPU speed; amount of memory (RAM).

ned c
Alwyn Anne

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Hi Ned, My computer is Memory (Ram) - 4.00 GB - Intel(R)CoreTM 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz, 32 Bit Operating system
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

You may like to download the trial version of Edius 6.5 and give that a go.

If you find it OK then the Ediu Neo 3.5 would probably be fine for your editing, unfortunately Neo does not have a trial version available but in practice the differences between Neo and the full version is minimal.

Edius Express is also available and is very cheap but I have not tried it myself.

I have Edius Neo 2.5 on my 2GHz two core Sony laptop and that edits native AVCHD footage without a problem.

With Edius there is a free utility available that converts the AVCHD footage into a Canopus HQ AVI file which most PC's can edit far easier than AVCHD files.

Sign up for the Grass Valley (makers of Edius) University site and there you will find plenty of video tutorials on how to use their editing software
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.