Sound FX

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Sound FX

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. I am in the process of making a video on Mother Shipton of Yorkshire and am doing scenes of some of her prophesis. OPne of which is the great fire of London 1666. I have plenty of good stills of the event but I need a sound FX of a raging fire. I have found some such FX's on the internet but after past experiences of downloading trogans and virus's along with so called free programmes, I am frightened of downloading anything offered free. Can anyone help?
Mike Shaw

Re: Sound FX

Post by Mike Shaw »

Presumably then you don't have something like Norton 360 on your system, which analyses and checks every download before you actually open it - it can save a lot of anguish!

An alternative could be to create your own fire foley - not by starting a fire, I hasten to add! - but by one of the pre-tested methods: unravel an old unwanted cassette tape into a pile on a table, then with the microphone suitable positioned, simple 'rustle away' at the tape. Doing this while the film is running silently enables you to match sound and visual 'bursts' of flame.

(At least - I think that's how the sound of fire is created! :roll: )
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Mike. Thanks for your response. Actually at different times I have had all the virus etc. protection and it was norton that allowed the virus and trogans in and caused me a hundred pounds to get rid of. Also another protection programme let them in and I've forgotton it's name. Now I have been safe for a couple of years by depending on microsoft windows security essentials and not opening any Email attachments nor downloading any freebies unless I check on the forums first as to their safety to download. It's funny that you mention making FX artifically. Actually many years ago, in the days of Film, I lectured around the Cine clubs as far down as the South Coast on how to create sound tracks and how to put sound on tape in sync with a projector, and I had a long list of sounds made with household equipment. Trouble is I've forgotton them and can't remember where I put the list. I have a faint recall that I might of used cellophane type sweet wrappings. Cassette tape was not invented at the time I'm talking about. Cheers Roy
FredD

Post by FredD »

Hi Roy,
I have some fire fx tracks you are welcome to.
They are my copyright (I created them in my Foley studio), and I would be happy for you to use
them in your amateur production.
I could email them to you in either mp3 format (2 Mb) or WAV format (12 Mb).
They have no virus on them; but you will obviously want to check them for
yourself, as a matter of good house keeping ! :wink:
Regards,
Fred D.
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Fred. Thank you very much, I would like to take you up on your offer. I would like the FX in WAV. format please. How do I give you my EMAIL address in Private regards Roy
FredD

Post by FredD »

Roy,

I have sent you a PM. Reply with a PM to me, and give me the email address that
you would like me to send the WAV files to.

Fred D
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

FRED. I have replied to your PM. I don't know if I have done it correctly as I've never sent a PM before. I have looked at my messages and although it says I have sent you a PM it doesn't show the message. Modern technology is not my best subject. Once I'm shown how to do it, I'm OK. Regards Roy
FredD

Post by FredD »

OK Roy !
I got your PM ! :)
I will send you x2 .WAV files as an attachment to a short email, to the address you have specified.
Let me know if you have any problems.
I will send the files tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, as I have to go out now to a script meeting.
Kind regards,
Fred D.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks Fred, you are a star. The FX are just what I need. Thanks again. Regards Roy