Panasonic SD 900 help

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
kidder

Panasonic SD 900 help

Post by kidder »

Hi, I am planning to purchase a Panasonic SD 900 which records full HD 1920 x1080p at 50fps
At the moment my pc system is ' happy ' working with avchd at 25 fps from my Sony in premiere elements 9.
I do not wish to make another PC purchase as my current one is about 12 months old , it is quad core with 8gb ram
am I looking for trouble.
Any advice would be appreciated
TimStannard

Re: Panasonic SD 900 help

Post by TimStannard »

Can't comment on how well your PC will cope with 50p, but the camera will record in a variety of formats, so if it struggles and you've no particular reason to go to 50p, you can record to 50i or 25p according to the spec on the Panasonic site.
I also note that Premiere Elements 9 is a 32bit Application and as such will only be able to utilise 2GB of the RAM.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
tom hardwick

Re: Panasonic SD 900 help

Post by tom hardwick »

Tim's right - the SD900 can make many and varied flavours of HD recordings - all at different bit-rates. As you say the 900 records 1920 x1080p at 50fps but Blu-ray can't hold this amount of information, so that top setting on the 900 is really only for those people who plan to store their finished movies on hard drives or flash memory.

I would think your pc would be up to working with 50p files and I assume Elements 9 can handle it. My Edius system is perfectly happy with my SD900's 50p footage but I invariably shoot at the 50i setting - knowing that my films are going out on Blu-ray.

It's worth checking that you can spot the differences between 50i and 50p before you worry too much about the latter.

tom.