LED Video light

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
billyfromConsett

LED Video light

Post by billyfromConsett »

I've just been looking at the CN160 video light, which is a 160 dimmable LED light, max 9watt power. It looks a cracking bit of progress and sell for under £40, though on ebay for as little as £25 new.

Thought it's worth sharing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170742361721? ... 1439.l2649
billyfromConsett

Re: LED Video light

The tricky part of using this LED light is the colour balancing, what looks white to your eyes, looks more blue to the cam - though it comes with a couple of gels - the orange one seems to help for lighting indoors.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I can't find the 160 LED lamp for £25, it's now about 37 quid but is still exceptional value I reckon. Hope you read my review in FVM. As you'll see, I found the orange filter near useless.
billyfromConsett

Yes, the £25 ebay seller hasn't got any presently. I found that mixing indoor lights (low energy jobs) with the LED isn't that straightforward.
I manually white balanced the ceiling then used as little LED power as I could get away with - with the orange gel. I didn't try the red gel.

I'm not sure if it's just my cam, but my TM700 Panasonic doesn't always get the white balance that accurate - so auto mode is not always that good. There can be a blonde-blue cast mentioned with some people's cams.

It needs more general experimentation.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

You're right Billy, white balancing can indeed be a problem with such cheap LED lights. I suspect the light they pump out has huge chunks of the visible spectrum missing, and they don't mix well with artificial light. If you manually colour balance for the LED lamp, then the background can take on a weird cast of its own.